Cornwall Is vs. Khorns?

Colin

Has anyone heard the Cornwall Is with the B2 crossover up against a Khorn, specifically the ones with the AK-2 crossover? How does the treble, mid-range and bass compare?

Does the Khorn have to be flush in the corner?

How does the soundstage compare - my Cornwalls have a deep sounstage when they are pulled away from the front walls - how am I going to get this with the khorns?

The ones I am looking at are listed as KB WO LF and LF 8937141 with AK-2 crossovers, any idea of what they are?

Can the AK-2 crossover be bi-amped easily?

The crossover links to a speaker wire binding post on the woofer cabinet, is this normal, or did someone mod the speaker wire connection I thought the speaker wire could run right to the crossover?

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 08-09-2002 at 04:27 PM

Has anyone heard the Cornwall Is with the B2 crossover up against a Khorn, specifically the ones with the AK-2 crossover? How does the treble, mid-range and bass compare?

I have both speakers but my K-horns hdon't have the AK-2 crossovers. Overall the K-horns are the better speaker but not by much. The K-horn has much better bass and sounds fuller and warmer then my Cornwall. The treble on my Cornwall is in your face compared to the K but I believe the K to be a smoother sound. The disadvantge to the K is its size. They are HUGE! compared to the Cornwall which is not a small speaker either. The COrnwall is more versatile because you can put it in a corner or against a wall corn-wall. Again, the K-horn looks like furniture and has a cool retro look and the Cornwall looks more like a box speaker.

Does the Khorn have to be flush in the corner?

Pretty much.

How does the soundstage compare - my Cornwalls have a deep sounstage when they are pulled away from the front walls - how am I going to get this with the khorns?

I would say that the soundstage is pretty equal.

The ones I am looking at are listed as KB WO LF and LF 8937141 with AK-2 crossovers, any idea of what they are?

Can the AK-2 crossover be bi-amped easily?

Yes. But there are no advantages to bi-amping according to research and testing done by PWK.

The crossover links to a speaker wire binding post on the woofer cabinet, is this normal, or did someone mod the speaker wire connection I thought the speaker wire could run right to the crossover?

I believe this is normal. Please post a pic so we can see what u might get into.

Good luck.

The only way to get a k-horn out of the corner is to build a false corner to set behind them, out in the room. It would need to extend out 4 feet or so from the rear of the speaker.

As for soundstaging, I think k-horns do lateral imaging just fine. Depth? I dunno, I don't hear much of that, but then, I didn't hear much when I had Cornwalls either. Maybe I am deaf to it! It just seems to me that image depth is either in the recording or not; and that the perception of increasing it by pulling speakers out away from room boundaries is merely a case of turning the bass down and increasing the ratio of direct sound to reflected sound. Maybe this let's "depth" information come through, I don't know.

------------------

JDM

This message has been edited by James D McCall on 08-09-2002 at 08:50 PM