Best Sub Match for 7's?

rminten

I am needing some advice on which sub to get to match to my Reference Series speakers. I currently have this setup:

2 RF-7s

1 RC-7

2 RS-7s

1 KSW-12

I use this system for Home Theatre and to play dance music - loudly (when I can!) I have these in a basement now, but will be moving them to a larger room so this system can expand a bit in sound - area is too small right where it is now! I want to buy a sub to match the system. I'm more interested in matching these with Klipsch - so I have a completely 'matched' system.

Any advice on which one to get would be appreciated. I'd also like to know if I should just wait to see if new speakers are coming out soon.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Thanks,

Randy

I wanted to add something to my post that I had left out.

Regarding crossover points between the RF-7's and the RSW series, do they all match up just right? Not sure of the exact terminology, but I know the RF-7's go down to a certain point. Is there an exact matched sub that meets the RF-7 at that low point?

Does this make any sense?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Randy

Great choice of speakers Randy

If you like to play dance music LOUD then a few good options will make sense in your setup.

Know dance music or almost any music(besides pipe organ recordings)dont really need much below 25Hz.

This in mind any of these subs will be great.

Klipsch RSW15(slam,slam and more slam great music sub)

Sunfire Signature(do be foolded by its size,it packs a punch,by far the most concentrated subwoofer made,down to 25Hz its a powerhouse)

Revel B15(all the qualities of the Sunfire SIg plus more output,better sub bass quality and the best crossover found in a powered sub)

SVS CS-Plus/Ultra with Samson 1000 amp(big output,quite large and will start to do justice to pipe organs!)

If I had one sub to take from this list...Revel B15.Class,style,sound quality and monster output.

Best bang for the buck,any SVS sub.

Most output per cubic inch by FAR,Sufire Signature.

Small size or not the Sunfire stands toe to toe with the best of them.

"Is there an exact matched sub that meets the RF-7 at that low point?"

Uh oh

Well all subs have adjustable cutoff.So any of the above will match well.The Revel will match better then ANY of the above,simply put a perfect match.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear...thanks for putting together a reply to my question - I appreciate it!

Am I crazy for wanting to keep my entire system Klipsch? I don't want to be blind to something better, but I've invested alot into this system and I hate to break it up with other speaker brands.

You mentioned the RSW-15 is a great music sub, slam etc. So, that's what I need, and it's a match to my system - and I've found a pair new for about $1100. I think that's a great price - am I right? Or are these low because something newer is coming out and they're discontinuing these?

Regarding the cross-over points and matching, it looks like Klipsch is saying the 15 is a match for the 7s, and based on your response, they should be adjustable to cover quite a bid down from where the 7s stop. I looked at the specs:

RF-7: 32Hz-20kHz±3dB

RSW 15: 19-120Hz±3dB

And am wondering if I have this right. The 7s go 'down' to 32 Hz and the 15s go down to 19Hz, right? You had remarked about the 15s 'don't really need much below 25Hz'. Don't the specs mean they go to 19? And, the pipe organ comment - how low does the pipe organ go? Does the 15 just crap out below 19 - or is it just not heard? What happens if I do play pipe organ music?? ( I do have some...believe it or not)!!

Finally, regarding the crossover, would I then need to set the 15s to go up somewhere to 32Hz - to match the 7s, or if I want them to help out the 7s in the lower ranges, I would raise the crossover a bit higher, right?

Thanks again for any replys....I'm really new to this and want to make the right decisions - which is why I chose Klipsch, because I figured I can't go wrong!

Randy

Randy,

"You mentioned the RSW-15 is a great music sub, slam etc. So, that's what I need, and it's a match to my system - and I've found a pair new for about $1100. I think that's a great price - am I right? Or are these low because something newer is coming out and they're discontinuing these?"

No nothing new is going to come out,I can say this even if I dont work for Klipsch.In general you will see talk about new products at electronic shows,nothing from Klipsch to best the RSW15 for a few years I think.

Now about the speaker brand thing,yes you should keep all 5,6 or 7 sats from the same brandand the same lineup because of the all crucial timbre matching.

A subwoofer cannot be timbre matched.As it will work only below 80Hz and in my case below mostly 40Hz and below.

And here a Revel B15 whips the RSW15 and a single SVS Ultra.No matter how many praise these the Revel is a better sub,less known and costs around $2500US,full price is $3000.Expensive,yes a bit.Performs like a champ and blends to aboslute perfection.This to me is the top quality of a sub,the way it blends with my speakers.

So if you decide to stay all Klipsch the RSW15 is a superb choice at a mere $1100US.Heck its a gift,1100 to pay for a great sub is little money,as often High-End subs cost $3000 and up,some even break the $30000 budget!

cwm3.gif

Regarding the crossover points I would run the RF-7's full range if a separate power amp would drive them or if you have a REAL recievers(Denon 5800 series,Onkyo 989(Integra DTR9.1) and the likes).

The RF-7's can take the juice and give more then most can handle in even large rooms.

If you will be using a sisi(LOL)reciever like most. Wink.gif Then by all means set all speakers to SMALL.This way you let the sub do its work below 80Hz and take the load off the reciever.Then the Sesame Street reciever will only have to work from 80Hz up,a much lesser task.

I use a real amp to drive the RF-7's,the mighty ATI 2505.This is a 100+LBS beast capable of driving even planar panels to realsitic levels.I can leave the RF-7's full range and still not lose any definition,the amp delivers the goods and has plenty of reserve(unlike most birdie recievers).

RSW15 has a nice(on paper anyway)19Hz -3dB limit,in reality however its a bit removed from the truth.At even 20Hz(ok 1Hz up)its weak and simply can NOT do justice to pipe organs.Its very solid down to around 25Hz,you will not notice anything missing unless you listen to test tones or pipe organs and demand serious output down low.

RF-7's are true to near 30Hz,the RSW15 will help.For movies the sub is almost a must.For music its...a nice add on.This providing you have a big nasty power amp,the starving skinny reciever in my view needs a sub,this way you may not even notice the reciever's weakness too much.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I would go with the SVS CS Ultra if I were in your position. I have had two Klipsch LF 10 subs and both were very unreliable as was the entire line.

I know that wasn't the RSW line but lets just take a minute to discuss those.

Before the release of the RSW line BOBG said that it would take an 18" Velodyne with a 64,000 watt amp to match the 20 hz. output of the RSW 15.

In yet another post (9/2001 KSW vs. RSW) BobG said that by their measurements the RSW 15 was "MANY, MANY DB louder at 20 HZ then the Velodyne HGS 18"

It would appear that Klipsch has not only had trouble in producing a good quality sub but they seem to have an incredible difficult time in producing this awesome mystery RSW 15 they spoke of and delivering it to the public.

Could you imagine buying a car that claims to have 500 hp and finding out that the thing only had 220 after you bought it!

I guess it could have just been SALES HYPE but either way all credability in sub building and testing is gone for me.

I know they might sound like a great sub and the independent tests show they are a good sub but it is no where near the monster they claimed it to be! All Sub credability...GONE!