HDMI to Component Converter

Hi.

I have a Harmon Kardan AVR-7200 that I use to power my Klipsch Cornwalls, surrounds, and rears. As you know it does not have an HDMI input.

I also have a Samsung Blu-Ray player with 8 channel output. I run the 8 channel output via 8 cables to the 8 channel input on my AVR-7200 so I can enjoy TrueHD and other newer codecs.

I run my HDMI video from the Samsung Blu-Ray directly to my Vizio flat screen.

The problem is that my audio is out of sync with my video because I am running audio straight to the AVR-7200 and video straight to the TV. I can adjust the audio sync in the Samsung set up and have introduced a 200 ms delay (the maximum) into the audio but it's still not a "perfect" sync.

I was wondering if I could resolve this by running the HDMI output from the Samsung into an HDMI to component converter like this one

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRSP-Component-Converter-Supporting/dp/B00JVNUAEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430414766&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+component+cable+converter

and then run those component cables directly into my AVR-7200. That way both video and audio would go straight to the AVR-7200. From there I would run component out to my Vizio flat screen.

I know I could just buy a new amp but I really love my HK amp and would like to stick with it.

Do you think my plan would work? Will my HK AVR-7200 accept 1080p signal in the component video input and send out 1080p to the tv?

If it does work is component cable the same as the RCA cable I've been using for years for a composite connection? LIke this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Component-Video-Audio-Cable-5-RCA-HDTV-RGB-Gold-25FT-50FT-Cmple-/161445692436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2596e9c414

Thank you for your comments.

Mike Gallery

Edited by MikeGinIllinois

Yes, I think it would work with the synch issue .

Cable is cable but given the color coding, and my ability to err on the side of caution, I would spring for some decent component cable as pictured.

Before deciding, I would hear others chime in... Dang, that is a longish run of cable pictured.

Price looks right though...

Edited by billybob

You could give it a try... but it's converting HDMI (copy protected bitstream 1's & 0's) to Component Analog (varying voltages).  The Amazon link also says it requires a battery???  Seems like the conversion might introduce delay issues of it's own.  And depending on the video input/output specs of your receiver, TV and blu-ray player, the component video might be limited to 1080i or lower resolution.  So you might want to verify if you'll have any resolution limitations before you buy it.

• Like 1