Need input choosing a receiver

Freespirit

Trying to make an informed decision on a McIntosh receiver. Long story short, had my heart set on the 6700, but wasn't certain I would be happy with only the two tone controls (bass/treble), so I asked my MAC dealer if I could demo the MA7900 as well, since it includes the 5-band equalizer. I realize the 7900 is NOT a receiver, but if the equalizer proved to be that important, I would have went with separates. Dealer didn't have 7900 in stock, but said he'd order it IF I would committ to purchasing one or the other. I declined because I felt this was putting me in a bad situation. What if I didn't like either? Isn't that the purpose of a demo? Maybe I'm too sensitive, but his "arrangement" made me mad, and I said, "no way."

So, now I'm looking at purchasing a used McIntosh receiver. My research tells me that people are really hot on the 4100/4200. These are older models. There is a later model, the 4300v (I have no idea what the "v" stands for), but I can't find any reviews on either anywhere!

The interesting thing about these models is that they have the 5-band equalizer.

I'll be using the receiver to power my efficient Cornwall III's.

I realize many of you are not receiver enthusiasts. I also have a wi fi radio that I connect to my current system which works great. I listen to the radio (both FM and AM) a lot, so a receiver appeals to me. I am tied to the Internet in many ways, but I like being able to be free of it it some areas.

Any input you could provide on these McIntosh receivers would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Five band equalizers aren't the cat's pajamas.  Bass and treble controls are about as good.  To have the flexibility you would need, you would want either 1/4 octave graphic EQ (36 sliders per channel, over nine octaves), or a good parametric EQ.

That being said, I can't imagine MAC putting out anything too bad, so their 7900 is probably pretty good, for what it is. 

If you would be tempted to go with separates there is a whole different way to go.  Get two (or more) channels of good power amplification, and get a good AV preamp/processor (not a receiver) to feed your power amp with.  If you do that, you can get Audyssey XT or Audyssey XT32 (better) in your preamp/processor that will, after a few careful hours of calibration on your part, provide measured, automatic, speaker and room EQ, over hundreds of EQ points, from the input of 8 microphone positions in your listening area..  After that, with most units, you can apply +/- 6 dB adjustment with bass and treble controls (but not with the virtual graphic EQ that is also provided -- it turns Audyssey off, unfortunately) to adjust for your taste, or mixes with different balances.  Some preamp/processors offer other EQ systems that compete with Audyssey.  After using Audyssey, most people turn up the bass, because flat sound does not sound real to us, but somewhat elevated bass does.  The point is to get a smooth, rather than bumpy, room curve, a bit high in the bass (Harmon research).  Those who have a subwoofer will usually turn it up a bit, after calibration.

If you are ever bitten by the home theater bug, you could add amps and speakers, without replacing your control center.

Just my opinion.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2

Thanks, Garyrc, for your response.

Most of what you said was way above my head. :)

What I think I understood you to tell me is that, in your opinion, there probably is going to be no noticeable difference between the two tone (bass/treble) on the MAC6700 receiver and the 5-band equalizer on the MA7900 Integrated Amp.

Thank you.