Adcom GTP-500 preamp

red1302

I want to ask those that have used Adcom preamps, if an Adcom GTP-500 preamp that is in "good condition" is worth $100?

Also, the seller is saying the "pots" need cleaning because there is some static when adjusting the volume and balance. What is invoved in cleaning "pots" on an amplifier or preamp?

Thank you,

John

I used an Adcom GTP-500 preamp for a while a few years ago. As I recall it was a nice neutral sounding preamp.

As for cleaning "pots" if you have to ask the question you probably don't have the technical skills required to do so. It's not hard at all but you really need to have a bit of "technical" background to do it. Your best bet if you buy it is to hook up with a local forum member who has the skills and have him (or her) demonstrate for you. Once you've seen the process you'll see how easy it is. If you were near by I'd be happy to show you the process

Price? Yea... I'd spring $100 for a working GTP-500 even if it did need a little cleanup. You'd be hard pressed to find a sonically or functionally equal preamp new for less than 5 times the asking price.

• Like 1

Thanks teknoid.I appreciate the imput. After posting the question about cleaning pots ,I looked on youtube. There are several examples of the procedure and I am not beyond opening things up so I can see what is what inside.

I do have one more question. What did you think of the phono stage?

John

I'm not sure I used a TT with the Adcom. If memory serves I picked up a McIntosh C32 preamp shortly after getting the Adcom and chose the C32 for obvious reasons. I don't think I got back in to vinyl until after getting the McIntosh. That was the beginning of a several year "tube" odyssey. I know the C32 is not a tube preamp. I used it to drive a Bob Latino ST120 pushing a pair of rebuilt La Scalas.

Edited by teknoid