Satellites for 4.1 vs 2.1

Hmm....

I've been thinking about getting a new pair of new 2.1's, but the 4.1 refub deal has me curious.

I can only use 2.1 sound (because I have a Mac with the default sound card and the Creative card won't support the new OS X).

Can I use a 4.1 with just 2 satellites and keep the back satellites as spares in case something bad happens? Will it sound just as good as a regulation 2.1 system? Are the satellites the same on the 4.1 as the 2.1? How do the subwoofers compare?

(Yep, I know I can do the "Y adapter" thingee for pseudo 4.1)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

This message has been edited by mostundudelike on 08-22-2002 at 11:04 PM

dude get a dell.

not really Smile.gif

you live in austin, they do have sam goodies there. do this

get two 2.1's there, total bill is like $180, same as a single 2.1. now you have mor ebass than the 4.1's and an added bonus...

all that a 4.1 sond card does to music is copy it and send ot the rear. so but a y mini stereo adapter from radio shack, plug it into the creative card (or whichever you have) and now you have exactly what the sound card wouldhave done to your music.

also, pay an extra $20 and get a replacement warranty for each 2.1 ($9.99 for each, =~$20) cause the klipsch warranty is no good, but you get a better warranty anyways from sam goodie. i HIGHLY recommend this. if not, just get one for now, $89, and get another one later, but who knows how long they will have the 2.1's there.

also, info is not on their website, but they do have them. if you can not find them in austin, go to houston some time (soon if possible, take I-45 north towards dallas to the Woodlands (This massive community out side houston, actually friends with the Woods family, baby sat Synthia Woods' grandchildren years back, junior high, way way way way way too much money in that family Smile.gif)

to get there... one way i know of, take HWY 290 south towards down town houston. It will have an exit for the Sam Houston Toll road, take that exit, go north. Have about $2 in change to pay the toll, lets see... yeah, that should be enough. when you have gone past the HWY 249 exit on the toll road, you will be about 6 minutes from I-45 North, get into the two right hand lanes, though you will take the one second from the right. the far right exit goes to down town... take that to the Woodlands Parkway exit (exit 76B) and go under the freeway, take a right at the first right. Park in the place where you see the huge glass windows with the food court up stairs, go up stairs through those doors, take a left up the stairs and you will see Sam Goody on the left.

or, try the closer sam goody, not sure if they have them. take the 249 exit from the toll road and go all the way down to the gessner/1960 exit. take either one to the right and you will get to Willow Brook Mall. They have a sam goody also, not sure where in the mall and if they have the 2.1's there for sooooo cheap.

course, you may be in UT staying in Dobie and they may have just put in a Sam Goody at Dobie mall hehe. who knows, just giving what help i can give ya Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Shares of Justin, Inc. are trading at an all-time high in The Dude's household.

I saw your message last night about the Sam Goody's deal. Three SG's later, I have the very last of SG's 2.1's in Austin, which was a gently worn display unit. At an extra 15% off for the fine layer of accumulated dust, I paid like $79. The extra 15% more than covered the cost of the extended warranty.

Not a bad day at all! I can even overlook the Dell comment.

Justin is my personal hero for the day. I don't think Jesus will mind.

Great news! How do you like them? Well, if you ever want to pick up so more, you have the directions LoL.

I just can not pass up a dell joke. your name kinda made me do it, dude Smile.gif hehe. infact, i just got a new mac laptop as a birthday present from my grandmother. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

I LOVE THEM. The sound fabulous. I notice a HUGE difference in how crappy MP3's at even 128Kbps sound.

And the story gets better:

Earlier in the week, before I read your original message, I had picked up a pair of 2.1's at Best Buy at the normal price of $179 mostly to see if I liked them. After I bought the SG pair for $79, I went back to return the $179 units.

That's when I saw that Best Buy will match prices plus give an extra 10% off. I didn't expect to get away with it, since the notice says that they have to be an in-stock item and I had bought the last pair, but I thought what the hell...

You should have seen the managers face when he saw that SG had sold them to me for $79. Jaws hit carpet. After the shock wore off they grudgingly gave me the other brand new 2.1 pair at, like, $67.

So I got the second pair after all.

Thanks again for the advice on the SG sale. I am jamming big time.

They didn't have anything but demo 2.1's and some el cheapo Altec Lansings.

I've decided to sell the demo 2.1's (at my cost) to a guy that works for me and has given me the appropriate props for pulling off the deal.

Yow! I can barely believe it myself, AND to get to stick it to "Best Buy" too is just icing on the cake.