New Crossover for Chorus Expectations

BobK

I purchased a set of Chorus 1s about a month ago. 

Since then I've changed out the mid-range and tweeters (Crites) and also changed the ports from stock 1" to 7" (more bass)

I think they sound pretty great right now.

I did not change the crossovers and was wondering what to expect if I did?

I did do the crossovers in my KG4s and well I did not think there was much of a difference over stock.

Curious on any comments from people that have either recapped or bought a new crossover.

Thanks

Edited by BobK

I will be replacing the crossovers in my Quartets this weekend (or maybe a little earlier) so I'll be able to give you a fresh perspective on the process soon.  I do have a pair of Heresy III, and being new have fresh crossovers/components.  Comparing those currently with my Quartets, the Heresy are noticeably more detailed and the proverbial veil is lifted.  I have read that updating the crossovers essentially brings back the detail and highs that go missing after so many years.  I'll post my thoughts on the Quartet change this weekend.

So, my very initial impressions: the speakers will be brighter, but in a good way. In my case with the Quartets, the highs were severely rolled off. You will also gain a significant amount of detail. Stringed instruments now have the textures that are present in a live setting. It may be my imagination, but I feel like there is more bass as well, but that may be due to much cleaner harmonics in the mid/highs now. I highly recommend updating the crossovers and bringing them back to where they were meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk