Technics 1200 Tonearm Counterweight

tagger

Does anybody know of a source for a heavy tonearm counterweight for the Technics 1200 turntable?  I'm looking to add an additional 35 - 40 grams to the stock metered counterweight to be able to use more massive carts with the stock arm.

You have someone right here in our yard. KABUSA.COM Ask for Kevin, he restores, mods, and does everything Technics and is the go to guy for the 1200.

His place is in Plainfield.

Edited by Jim

Kevin is a great guy!  I used to work in Edison, about 15 minutes from him, and on several occasions made trips to his place during my lunch hour and ended up chatting for two - three hours.  I remember he had a pair of Altec 1003 horns with 288 drivers set up in a 10' x 15' room!  He's definitely the premier authority on the 1200 TT.  Unfortunately, I believe the auxiliary counterweights he stocks are 10 grams and 17 grams.  I plan to email him nonetheless, in case he knows of a suitable solution.

• Like 1

He still has those Altecs and they sound amazing! He has them set up quad amped with the external crossovers and the horn loaded low sub, and 2 horn loaded mid subs. Everything is through tubes and an Aphex Aural Exciter. I was there about 2 months ago. jaw dropping to say the least. He's very knowledgeable.

Did he have them set up with tubes as well when you were there?

I'm in Fords,so literally on the Edison border.

Hi Chris.  This is the stock Technics counterweight.  I currently have this on my arm, but I'm looking to add an additional 35 - 40 grams beyond this.  I would either need an extra heavy auxiliary weight (the stock Technics one is 10 grams), or a custom primary counterweight to replace the one in your link.

This is going back 5 or 6 years, but I remember he had horns for the low end and horn tweets physically time aligned with the 288 drivers.  Since the tweets were recessed behind those huge 1003 horns I asked him if he worried about early reflections off the Altec horns.  He said he raised the tweeters just enough that based on the polar response they would clear mid horns.  It did sound pretty sweet!  I don't remember what was powering them, but he was using the Aphex.  It was a secret weapon of his!  I live in Hamilton, and now work in PA, so it's unfortunately not as convenient to just stop in now and then.

Edited by tagger
  • Like 1

That sound stage when he puts on the Aphex is out of this world to me. He has another set of tweeters now that are in a big paper towel roller type thing. They are still behind the horns.

I also bought the Aphex after hearing his and crawling home with my tail between my legs with my 2 channel set up.