Right speaker louder than the left speaker. REW measurements

mother's corpse

All of those frequency graphs look fine... The 5 channels' response played through Speaker 1 looks just like the 5 channels' response through Speaker 2. Meaning each amp channel is generating the same frequency response through each speaker.

The woofer differences are within about 0.4 dB or less. And I don't see the 3dB difference at 70Hz you originally measured,or 3dB difference anywhere else. The bigger differences way down low are replicated in each speaker. That's probably the room.

The only real difference being at the upper end above 13KHz... and you said that was just in the surround channels and it looks like it's just 1 dB. That could be a difference in the amp due to the power supply. But I bet you can't hear it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your AVR's amp section or channel levels. Or anything that would be outside of normal variances.

That's interesting it seems to be all good. But who knows I'm all game for any test you guys want me to conduct.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Klipsch said they will replace the whole speaker so i hope it works out. I wish i lived closer and not 20 hours away. Some phase measurements.

1f10fdd.png

c480a80.png

The phase graph tells me the tweeter is wired backwards on the right speaker.

Edited by mustang guy

High resolution images so you can click and zoom in if needed.

Horns edited colors,

0c006e8.png

Woofers edited colors,

6a70fae.png

What I am seeing now is that it's not the speaker, it's the amp. If it were the speaker, the like colors would all be together but 3db or so apart.

Edited by mustang guy

High resolution images so you can click and zoom in if needed.

Horns edited colors,

0c006e8.png

Woofers edited colors,

6a70fae.png

What I am seeing now is that it's not the speaker, it's the amp. If it were the speaker, the like colors would all be together but 3db or so apart.

So it could be the amp giving me all these issues? Pretty strange. The measurement i just did at my main listening place now shows a db difference like it did at first. throughout the whole frequency measurement even when i switched the weak speaker to the center channel it still couldn't match the left in db or phase. What i wanna know is why it didn't show it at the close up sweeps while cycling throughout all channel's.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Did you ever place a speaker and the mic and measure with one channel, then remove the speaker and put the other one in the exact same footprint and measure? You would be using the same amp channel and speaker wire for both measurements, and the results will tell you for 100% sure. You must not bump or move the microphone, and the measurements must be with the volume at the exact level. Simply swap the speaker and be very precise about putting the other speaker in the same footprint.

The mic should be about 4' away, and about 2/3 the way up the speaker height. That way it will get the tweeter and the woofers pretty well.

About the phase chart. I have no clue..... I just looked and see you were measuring bass frequencies only. You might want to run those at the same time with the speaker swap above. 

I will tell you one thing. Once you get this resolved you will know a heck of a lot more than you did when you started. So will I.

• Like 2

Klipsch said they will replace the whole speaker so i hope it works out. I wish i lived closer and not 20 hours away. Some phase measurements.

1f10fdd.png

c480a80.png

The phase graph tells me the tweeter is wired backwards on the right speaker.
Funny thing when i look at the graphs the problem speaker looks like a flipped version of the stronger speaker.

You can see that the horn of the weaker speaker can't keep up. Measured separately and together. Something is going on inside this speaker. Idk if it wired differently or going bad but it's not 100% up to Klipsch standards.

314de03.png

Edited by MrGrey

Use an 8k tone and measure both horns at 1 inch from the throat. Use very little output from your soundcard or you will overdrive the microphone. This will show up in REW as a very flat response. The first easy check to do to rule out the AVR is use a 100hz tone and measure each terminal of the speaker. If you see more than .5V difference you found your problem. It is unlikely to find a solid 3dB difference in two speakers as this would not pass our manufacturing process.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Use an 8k tone and measure both horns at 1 inch from the throat. Use very little output from your soundcard or you will overdrive the microphone. This will show up in REW as a very flat response. The first easy check to do to rule out the AVR is use a 100hz tone and measure each terminal of the speaker. If you see more than .5V difference you found your problem. It is unlikely to find a solid 3dB difference in two speakers as this would not pass our manufacturing process.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Running a 100hz tone while the multimeter is set to 200v AC it seems like i need a good amount of volume to get a reading. When doing that switch between speakers and compare the results?. I have bridge between the HF and LF intact.

Oh, and if the meter can only read 40-100Hz then use a tone in the meat of the range like 70Hz. Using 100Hz the meter may be rolling off causing a really low voltage reading.

at 70hz Yeah now it's more stable, one is 1.4 and the other is 1.3. The one showing 1.3 is the weak speaker.

Edited by MrGrey