Right speaker louder than the left speaker. REW measurements

mother's corpse

OP, you need to be doing AC measurements, not DC. Who cares if there is a 1 millivolt DC difference in your AVR outputs. Speakers do not like any DC voltage but a tiny amount they will usually tolerate. Your meter needs to be set at the 200 or 600 V AC scale. The lower setting (200V) will be more accurate(as pointed out by MustangGuy) and should suffice for your AVR outputs.

Oh and Welcome to the Klipsch Forum........ and the madness.

I thought he was... I couldn't see the pictures of the multimeter earlier.

Horns again. I am letting the avr warm up then repeat this test again. I want to see if when it gets hotter the test change. Idk what else to do and i have no clue what's causing these changes.

5c18048c9e6b90b6256d22e7fb4d0d74.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I can't see (from your photos) what model speaker those are... but if they're the new Reference Premier series, the woofers don't cross over to the horn until 1700Hz-1800Hz.  Anything below that is mostly output from the woofers.  And if the mic is pointed at the horn while the test tone is sweeping through 100 Hz to 1000 Hz, you're going to see room resonances in your graph.  Above about 1500hz, it looks like all the responses overlay one another to the point there would be no issues.

From your previous graph of the woofers lower test tones, with the close mic'd response, it looks very close as well (no issues)... though it appears you were still measuring both speakers as the graph has "SP1" and "SP2" on it.

Measure just ONE speaker... woofer from 40 Hz to 2000 Hz (close mic'd)... and horn from 2000 Hz on up.  And do that with each of the 5 channels on your amp.  That would show you if one channel of the amp has a level difference at a particular frequency.  If all of those frequency responses overlay one another, then do the same thing with the other speaker.  If you notice a difference, then it's the second speaker and not the amp.

Horns again. I am letting the avr warm up then repeat this test again. I want to see if when it gets hotter the test change. Idk what else to do and i have no clue what's causing these changes.

5c18048c9e6b90b6256d22e7fb4d0d74.jpg

I can't see (from your photos) what model speaker those are... but if they're the new Reference Premier series, the woofers don't cross over to the horn until 1700Hz-1800Hz. Anything below that is mostly output from the woofers. And if the mic is pointed at the horn while the test tone is sweeping through 100 Hz to 1000 Hz, you're going to see room resonances in your graph. Above about 1500hz, it looks like all the responses overlay one another to the point there would be no issues.

From your previous graph of the woofers lower test tones, with the close mic'd response, it looks very close as well (no issues)... though it appears you were still measuring both speakers as the graph has "SP1" and "SP2" on it.

Measure just ONE speaker... woofer from 40 Hz to 2000 Hz (close mic'd)... and horn from 2000 Hz on up. And do that with each of the 5 channels on your amp. That would show you if one channel of the amp has a level difference at a particular frequency. If all of those frequency responses overlay one another, then do the same thing with the other speaker. If you notice a difference, then it's the second speaker and not the amp.

That makes sense I'll do that now. These are the RP-280F

Edited by MrGrey

Ok this is the horns. Only one speaker was attached and i cycled that speaker through all channels and then did the same for the other speaker. I am now doing the woofers. Each woofer five times just to be 100% sure we covered every part of these speakers. You can see that the surround channels is low for both speakers

HORNS.png

Edited by MrGrey

That's weird. I'm guessing you have already tried a different AVR or power source and ruled out speaker issues by swapping them? If not, I would be hoping the channel separation or crosstalk is a good bit off on the unit. Is there a speaker setup on the AVR that will send out the same level signal to each speaker?

This is the only avr i have. And i swapped the speakers around. I have the sony STR-DH550.

If you're near AR I have an Sony AVR I would give you. 

That's weird. I'm guessing you have already tried a different AVR or power source and ruled out speaker issues by swapping them? If not, I would be hoping the channel separation or crosstalk is a good bit off on the unit. Is there a speaker setup on the AVR that will send out the same level signal to each speaker?

This is the only avr i have. And i swapped the speakers around. I have the sony STR-DH550.

Unfortunately I'm in NY

That's DC, and that multimeter can handle AC frequencies between 40and 100Hz:

D51IsST.png

Set the multimeter on 20V~, and send an 80Hz or so test tone through.

Nothing shows up when it's on 20v and i play a 80hz or any other tone.

Not 20V there isn't a 20V ac on your multimeter. There is 200 and 600 V.

D51IsST.png

Yes that's what I meant just a mistype.

OP, you need to be doing AC measurements, not DC. Who cares if there is a 1 millivolt DC difference in your AVR outputs. Speakers do not like any DC voltage but a tiny amount they will usually tolerate. Your meter needs to be set at the 200 or 600 V AC scale. The lower setting (200V) will be more accurate(as pointed out by MustangGuy) and should suffice for your AVR outputs.

Oh and Welcome to the Klipsch Forum........ and the madness.

Yes!

I said all that but flippin said 20V~ instead of 200V~. LOL

Edited by mustang guy

D51IsST.png

No, you were using DC. You need AC. Look:

i1ItW47.png

• Like 1

D51IsST.png

No, you were using DC. You need AC. Look:

i1ItW47.png

dam i had no clue that was the way it worked[emoji20] well let's do this again.

EDIT - nothing with the correct settings.

Edited by MrGrey

Unfortunately I'm in NY

Trust me, it wouldn't be doing you a favor, but you may be able to see how much it is off. Im looking for a reason to replace it, but more important things are in front of it.

• Like 1

All of those frequency graphs look fine... The 5 channels' response played through Speaker 1 looks just like the 5 channels' response through Speaker 2. Meaning each amp channel is generating the same frequency response through each speaker.

The woofer differences are within about 0.4 dB or less. And I don't see the 3dB difference at 70Hz you originally measured,or 3dB difference anywhere else. The bigger differences way down low are replicated in each speaker. That's probably the room.

The only real difference being at the upper end above 13KHz... and you said that was just in the surround channels and it looks like it's just 1 dB. That could be a difference in the amp due to the power supply. But I bet you can't hear it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your AVR's amp section or channel levels. Or anything that would be outside of normal variances.

• Like 1

What you say would seem to be true, but with those bands so close together, it's tough to tell colors and channels. It would have been more useful with the following high and low db:

105-115 on the higher frequencies

85-110 low frequencies

And if you would have used all green tones on the left and all reds on the right. 

If it is what it looks like, then the left speaker is about 3db more efficient than the right speaker at every frequency. Wouldn't an efficiency issue be bass or higher frequencies and not across the frequency range? 

Did you use the exact speaker wire to run all 20 sweeps?  If so, and if GPB is right, then the problem would most likely be at the speaker terminals on the right speaker. 

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

What you say would seem to be true, but with those bands so close together, it's tough to tell colors and channels. It would have been more useful with the following high and low db:

105-115 on the higher frequencies

85-110 low frequencies

And if you would have used all green tones on the left and all reds on the right.

If it is what it looks like, then the left speaker is about 3db more efficient than the right speaker at every frequency. Wouldn't an efficiency issue be bass or higher frequencies and not across the frequency range?

Did you use the exact speaker wire to run all 20 sweeps? If so, and if GPB is right, then the problem would most likely be at the speaker terminals on the right speaker.

Same connectors were used. Would you like me to color code them and upload again so it can be easily seen? Also should i inspect the each speaker terminals by opening it up?