Kilo buck turntables

Audio Flynn

Stephen Stills writes this fantastic Manassas 2 LP set with 4 different formats one to each side and I wonder did Steve piss off the soundman? On Nakamichi 581 I get an over driven signal at 3dbs in the red which explains why the LP's sound overdriven. Have not seen my copy of Thick as a Brick but the bass properly thumped every instrument in place the violin sweeter than the flute. I have a lot of 30 to 40 year old MFSL half speed mastered stuff and I have Fairport Convention with and without Sandy Denny. How does those Brits do it? Fleetwood Mac before fame and after produce stuff I can play all day but some groups really stole our bucks. I've seen live most music from my favorite musicians but why oh why can a guy like Joe Walsh or Ted Nugent entertain us with perfect sound reproduced concert after concert yet some of these other groups record noise.I have seen Buddy Guy play his guitar right in my face. Robert Cray and BB King on his 75th Birthday not one mistake yet some engineers screw up the master of people some long dead. What were they thinking? Uriah Heap, Television with Tom Verlaine, even some early Black Oak Arkansas, Ramones, the list goes on why did they allow the engineers to produce audible wow and flutter unfocused instruments trashed masters?

• Like 1

Stephen Stills writes this fantastic Manassas 2 LP set with 4 different formats one to each side and I wonder did Steve piss off the soundman? On Nakamichi 581 I get an over driven signal at 3dbs in the red which explains why the LP's sound overdriven. Have not seen my copy of Thick as a Brick but the bass properly thumped every instrument in place the violin sweeter than the flute. I have a lot of 30 to 40 year old MFSL half speed mastered stuff and I have Fairport Convention with and without Sandy Denny. How does those Brits do it? Fleetwood Mac before fame and after produce stuff I can play all day but some groups really stole our bucks. I've seen live most music from my favorite musicians but why oh why can a guy like Joe Walsh or Ted Nugent entertain us with perfect sound reproduced concert after concert yet some of these other groups record noise.I have seen Buddy Guy play his guitar right in my face. Robert Cray and BB King on his 75th Birthday not one mistake yet some engineers screw up the master of people some long dead. What were they thinking? Uriah Heap, Television with Tom Verlaine, even some early Black Oak Arkansas, Ramones, the list goes on why did they allow the engineers to produce audible wow and flutter unfocused instruments trashed masters?

In some ways the worst thing to happen to rock and roll was the Phil Specter 'wall of sound'. I think Stills Manasass and first solo LP suffered from it. "All things must Pass" from George Harrison as well.

Any of my Allman Brothers LPs are disappointing. CD remaster of "live at Fillmore East" sounds better than any Allman Brothers LP I have.

Joe Walsh LPs do not do justice to the music.