Khorn &La scala driver codes

dth31

I'm just about ready to ditch my Maggie/Bryston setup for Klipsch/SET. A couple of technical questions:

1. I see there are a number of different letter codes following the driver numbers. I assume these letters refer to the magnet material (alnico, etc). Would someone please post the codes?

2. Should I assume that the alnico drivers are preferred? If so, is there a range of years for the Khorn and La scala that only alnico magnet drivers were used? (Would make my eventual ebay search easier if I could narrow down the years to look for). Could REALLY use some guidance here!

Thanks in advance. Hope to join the club soon!

Dave

The letter after the model number identifies the version of the part. In the case of the K77M, it indicates that the part has a ceramic (mud) magnet instead of the alnico magnet of the K77. In other cases, it represents the manufacturer, e.g. K33E manufactured by Eminence. OTOH some parts like the early K22 woofers share the same model number even though there were at least three different designs manufactured by at least two different manufacturers.

Early Klipschorns were all alnico. Last models were all ceramic. Models in between were a mix. If you want all alnico, you are looking at early seventies or earlier. Only way to tell for sure what you have is to check the parts because they may have been changed over the years. Which way to go depends on what sounds best to you.

At least three tweeters were used in Klipschorn: University 4401 and K77 alnico (ElectroVoice T35A), K77M ceramic (mud, ElectroVoice T35A). PWK apparently though that the 4401 was not very good but the best choice he had at the time. But some folks prefer it to the later K77 and K77M. Difference between K77 and K77M is a couple dB more in high frequencies (above about 11 kHz?)

At least three squawker drivers were used: University SA-HF and K55V alnico (Atlas PD5V), K55M ceramic (mud, ElectroVoice OEM part).

A number of woofers were used, manufactured by companies like Stephens and ElectroVoice (alnico), and Eminence (all ceramic?).

Thank you for taking the time for replying to my naive question, Malcolm. I should have KNOWN that it was far more complicated than I initially thought!

I'm going to keep rummaging thru the archives. That's probably the best approach to starting learning some of the arcane knowledge.

Know of any online articles or websites that go into all this accumulated knowledge? Maybe similar to the Lansing Heritage site? (What a GREAT resource!)

Dave

Best source of information I know is the archives here.

BTW In addition to the variations mentioned above, the crossovers also changed over the years. Some folks have preferences in crossovers. Some folks tweak their crossovers. And Al Klappenberger has even designed a new one.

FWIW IMHO the differences between any of the Klipschorns, or any of the LaScalas (with the exception of the industrial models), made in the last 30 or so years are pretty subtle. The earlier ones with the 4401 and SA-HF have a different sound, though.