AK-3 Crossover Schematic

johns02

John,

Sounds like you have a AK-2. If you haven't popped open the woofer door, that's where you will see the main difference:

The AK-2 (~1988) version used 2x70uf of capacitance instead of 2x50uF with the same 4mH's of inductance.

Minor changes in the squawker:

The AK-2 uses a T5A transformer not the T4A.

Also the inductor is a 4mH not the 5mH as in the AK-3.

The tweeter protective filter is just arranged different:

The 2uF cap then the 500uH coil to common, instead of the other way around. You'll probably want to lift the red wire to eliminate this from the circuit based on the postings of improvement doing so. Of course this leaves the tweeter slightly more vulnerable to mishap.

I let Al K. or someone else explain what difference these changes might make in the crossover types, if any.

Cheers / Ken

I suspect the T4A was used because of the driver changes as in the woofer circuit.

I dont see how these come close to Al's crossovers in sound quality. I'm curious why they use the 25-35uf on woofer circuit.

It seems when I connect this 5mh/35uf combo to my Alk's the low end gain is slightly higher and detailed. Any thoughts on this?

Johns,

The L - C combination in the Klipsch woffer filters gives a slight rise in response just below the woofer / squawker crossover. It will make the bass a little louder in that area.

AL K.

Late note:

After posting this, I tried connecting 117 uF across the woofer in one of my Belles. It makes and audible change in the sound of FM tuner inter-station hiss (oneof my favorite quick test procedures). I expect to run some response curves to see exactly what it does.