Receiver & Sub setup

170out

Just purchased a new reeiever, sub and speakers. Was wondering if anyone had tips on setting up the sub and receiver for the best bass settings. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Receiver-Denon AVR3802

Sub-Klipsch KSW-12

Fronts-Wharfedale Diamond 8.4's

Center-Wharfedale Diamond CE

Surround-Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's

Rear-Wharfedale Diamond 8DFS's

Afraid I don't know anything about your speakers, but for general starters most people start out setting all speakers to small in the receiver, so that all bass below the Denon's crossover point is sent to the sub to deal with, freeing up the other speakers to do the other work with less strain. Of course, few speakers can plumb deep bass by themselves, anyway.

What's the frequency response of your speakers? That will help you determine where to set the sub crossover in the Denon.

If you connect the sub to the sub-out on the Denon, and use the Denon's bass management, set the crossover on the sub itself to its highest setting, so that it doesn't interfere with the Denon's bass management.

That's pretty general, but about all I can offer without more info.

DD

------------------

My System

DD Here's the spec's on the speakers.

Hope you can help me a little more.

Thanks

Sub-Klipsch KSW 12 26hz-120hz

Fronts-Wharfedale Diamond 8.4's 30hz-20khz

Center-Wharfedale Diamond CE 60hz-20khz

Surround-Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's 40hz-20khz

Rear-Wharfedale Diamond 8DFS's 70hz-20khz

170, doug's right on. the 3802 cross only goes as low as 80hz, so you definitely don't want it any higher than that.

if you got a 4802 or 5803 it would allow settings of 60hz or 40, which look like they'd overall be better given your speaks' low bass capability.

if you want to use this for music too, you may want to set the sub to "lfe only" & not use it for low bass along w/ the speaks. then i'd set all speaks large (maybe small on the center - have to experiment). that way the ksw doesn't muddy-up the bass there.

key is experiment w/ the dif settings w/ both 2-channel & 5.1 material. bass mgmt is pretty particular to all different set-ups, rooms & tastes. here's a file that explains some on lfe & bass mgmt.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I'd probably set all channels to small, including the mains, to begin with. Set the crossover on the sub to the max setting. Be sure and adjust your channel volumes using an SPL meter of some type (like the ANALOG Radio Shack meter).

Then, after you listen for a bit, you can go back and set the front to large and see if you like that better. It's really a matter of personal choice.

Good luck, and enjoy!

DD

------------------

My System

In the sub set up in the 3802, you have the choice of "LFE+mains", set it there. If not, you won't have any bass sent to the sub when using prologic.

As far as the large, small setting goes, just experiment.

We have the 3801 and Klipschorns and now a La Scala center instead of the modified Heresy as seen by clicking on the little house below. The K-Horns are set large and the center we found sounded better small, too much bass in male vocals.

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

if you set the sub to lfe only, then you'll still get low bass to the mains or any other speaks set large. i would think if you set lfe only it would force the mains to be set large (as where else would the low bass go).

my point above was that the ksw may not be an adequate replacement for the bass from speaks that can do well down in the 1st octave (20-40hz) for music. in that case you might want to just use a sub like the ksw for the lfe supplement & use the wharfs for the low bass w/

music (or prologic).

but the key is experiment because of your set-up, room, tastes, material-habits, etc. the only thing for sure is there are no set answers such as set it here or there. just hypotheticals. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

doug, on 2nd thought the bass mgmt settings are across all modes, for just about every dsp i've seen. guess on the denon i was thinking of the surround speaker settings for dif modes. Redface.gif

170, good luck. if you were considering it or its possible, you may want to upgrade to the 4802 or 5803. they have crossover settings that go down to 40hz. that's best if you have big bass speaks. also, you may want to upgrade to a sub that can put out well down to at least 20hz. just some suggestions. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page