Altec 511b horn and K55V driver combo ??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony,

Is this the same adaptor I need (K-55 to Altec 511B)? If so, what is the cost there?

I just contacted a dealer for the Atlas Sound driver and this guy wants $80 a piece for them. I told him to take a hike! Since I'm not a dealer, Atlas Sound won't sell directly to me.

As for Image Communications, I was on hold for an hour with them this motning and never spoke with anybody there. This is getting rediculous!

Mike

Mike

Thanks, Tony! Would you mind posting the Selenium website address? I have found them on a Bulgaria website and it looks like they are only $4/ea. If that is so then these are the ones I want. It certainly sounds better than $80/ea. Smile.gif

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-24-2002 at 07:00 AM

Hi Everybody,

I have been a little under the weather for the last 3 weeks trying to deal with a ruptured disc in my neck. It's very painful (no use of my right arm) and I meet with a Neurosurgeon on Wednesday. It looks like I will be having surgery in the next week or so to correct it.

Q-Man did come over yesterday and spent about 9 hours at the house. We decided that he would write the review and I would add some commentary to it, because it's pretty painful for me to sit and type. We compared my ALK'd La Scala's with K400 horns against the Altec 511B (both using the K-55 driver), along with a University Cobraflex using both the K-55 and University drivers, and an 8 cell Altec horn (can't remember the model) with the biggest driver I have ever seen. I'll let Q-Man give the specifics of the horns he brought over.

As for the comparison, I will only say I am currently using the Altec 511B's over the K400's. Not only is there wider dispersion but there is more clarity and separation as well with the 511B. It's not so evident in the acoustic instruments (piano, guitar, etc), but very noticeable with vocals and horns (sax and trumpet). I also like the fact that the horn sits about 10-12 inches higher (resting on top of the La Scala's) than the K-400, and is more at ear level. Believe it or not, this makes a very noticeable difference. The 511B is also about 3db louder from 400 to 5khz. I have not adjusted the tap settings on the ALK's yet because I kind of like the overall sound.

I will wait for Q to chime in and give his take on the day, and then add some more comments later...

Mike