Cornwall II midrange replacement

mbat

Hey, folks. I'm new to this deal and had what might be a technically oblivious question.

I picked up a pair of the later horizontal Cornwall IIs recently and found the midrange on one was out once I got 'em home. I ordered an original replacement diaphragm for the K57, but it seems a little weird that the driver on only one side died. Is that normal? Is there anything I should look for inside the cabinet that might have killed the original, or is it pretty safe to assume it blew from being overdriven or just age? The wires to the midrange terminals were connected, but because they're all soldered down in a cramped area of the crossover (which I gather was original to some Cornwall IIs?), it's hard for me to know if anything weird might be going on there -- wires touching that shouldn't be, etc. I don't see any signs of tinkering from previous owners, other than that the screws holding the driver to the horn seem perhaps a bit stripped. I might just be overthinking that, but I was looking for evidence, since I know people like to tweak these things. Anyway, the horn wasn't too cooperative about coming out, so I'm hesitant to pull the woofer to inspect crossover unless it's necessary, but I want to make sure I'm not about to blow up another one of these things. I can also slip my phone inside and grab a couple of pictures if there's something to my paranoia that could be easily spotted.

I guess I might as well ask if there's anything I should be careful about when installing the new diaphragm/coil. It didn't look too crazy from the pictures I saw on the Bob Crites website, but I've never done this kind of surgery before.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.