I just got me a 222D!

AndyKubicki

Hey gang! With the Eicos going for $500-600, I think this is a deal, and this time I did not pass it up:

222 D Once I have it, I will take it to a local tech who has a variac and start from there.

BTW, there is also a 222 C at the same buy it now price...

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Congratulations on jumping in. I'm sure you wll have fun. What are the output tubes on that one again?

There are so many ways to jump into this thing!

I keep seeing more and more interesting vintage stuff on eBay, but at this point I am backlogged with projects so I am halting what appears to be a collecting/stockpiling impulse (a shopping hobby if you will). I am just about to invest in a good soldering iron and set up a bench at home where I can work on these things.

The initial impluse for me was to get some tubes behind a beautiful set of Cornwalls, then before I knew it I was investigating (buying) more than just one tube amp to try out: Dynaco, Eico, and even Heathkit....mostly yesterday's average working man stuff which is seen today as still having great potential, and all relative bargains.

So what happens is that an initial purchase opens up a whole new hobby which is based on gaining the experience of a variety of designs and concepts from the golden age of tube technology.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Thanks Clipped! I'm sure I will. Also, thanks to all for your guidance, especially Craig to whose guidelines I stuck to.

This is from the HH Scott page:

222D

Stereo

48-watt

Integrated

Amplifier

20-wpc (RMS) 1963-1964 $170

See "Editor's Picks"

Updated, Extruded front panel styling

Minor service-related improvements

used wide "C" case/chassis

11 tubes:

(4) 12AX7

(2) 6U8 or 7199

(Split-load phase inverter)

(4) 7189

(1) 5AR4

------------------

Andy

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Andy Congats !!

That seller has a pretty good rep for selling solid peices for a fair price. 222Ds are nice amps they have complete bias control built in. Thing to remember is he is selling them as is and basically for rebuild so expect to recapp it and have a selenium rectifier replaced at the least.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-08-2002 at 05:23 PM

Thanks again Craig! Yes, I bought this with the expectation that I'll have to work on it. I've got an engineer in the neighborhood with a variac, so I'll take it to him first. After the basics, I'll check out the Scott forum for recommended replacements and schematics. Of course, if you have any recommondations, I would prefer yours as a Klipsch owner, so that would be appreciated.

------------------

Andy

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Andy, Congrats on your 222D. I recently got a 299 and I am extremely happy with it. Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting a 299C or Eico HF81 to compare. I have a feeling that, regardless of the outcome, I would keep them all.

For your 222D if you are considering restoration kits, contact Ryan Inman on scott forum. His kits were less expensive than VTV kits when I checked.

Enjoy your new toy. Cheers.

Andy,

If you need any help along the way just drop me a line and I'll do all I can !!

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>