what will compression sound like?

prodj101

Hi, I hear everyone talkign about tweeter compression, and I'm curious what it will sound like when I reach that point. I haven't gotten mine close to it yet (around 15 watts on SF-2's). any info?

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by tweeter compression, but to me it would mean a lack of upper frequency extension. That characteristic would cause a signal congestion of those freqencies exceeding the tweeter's operational abilities.

Here's a weak visual analogy. You have 20 6" balloons, each with varying amounts of helium to float at 6" increments above the floor--- 1 at 6", 1 at 12", 1 at 18", 1 at 24", and so on. If you have a 10' ceiling, you'll have a single cylinder of 20 balloons , but if you have only 8' ceiling, there will be 5 balloons at the ceiling level.

Going back to the audio effect. the tweeter is having to handle the signal at its max operational upper frequency "ceiling", but now it also has the combined extra (higher frequency) signals to handle. The cumulative frequencies may make the tweeter sound congested or "constipated".

So, not only is compression a lack of extension above a certain frequency, but also those frequencies tend to overload the tweeter at it's operational cut-off point. Unfortunately, this phenonema isn't purely spec-related as a tweeter may reproduce a sine wave at a given frequency, but when a complex signal (orchestral, for instance) is applied, the tweeter may smear the upper frequencies.

Most speakers are pretty decent, so unless you have a experienced pair of ears, this tweeter compression thing is something you have to actually hear (via A/B testing) to fully appreciate.

Hope this helps.

Mike

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconnects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

This message has been edited by Mike82 on 09-10-2002 at 06:53 AM