Adding an external amp to a receiver

Iftach Landau

I apologize if I repeat a topic that was discussed before. I want to add an external amp (Carver) to my Denon receiver (3802) for an added value in music.

I am not sure how to configure, as the Denon setup allows front speakers to be big or small - but there is no null (phantom) option like the center or back surround. If I took the line out for the front and run the front speakers through the external amp, will the receiver "know" it is not suppose to drive the speakers? I think I once read of a special termination required... Thanks in advance.

IL, no problem. most receivers, denon for sure, output

from the preamp on a constant basis to the preouts. it is just a preamp signal after all.

so need to change any prepro settings (unless you're tweaking). just connect the amp to the fronts preouts & connect the speakers to amp.

then no load is put on the denon amp for the front channels, as the new stereo amp is driving those main speaks. should also allow for better operation of the denon amp for the other channels w/ the decreased load on it.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Denon 3802 with Carver amp,good.What you need to do is precious little here.

Just go from the Denon pre outs to the amp line in.In the setup menu you dont even have to switch the onboard amp off! I looked and looked and found no such option!Only calibrate the levels to compensate for the added power from the amp.

Not much else.The onboard power amp is cut only when you press headphone on the remote.This cuts the onboard power amp.

Oh and even with "no" load the 3801 and 3802 get quite hot! So good ventilation around the receiver is of great importance.

My 3801 is almost as hot as the ATI 2505 and 1505!Both ATI's are driving speakers,the Denon is not.Onkyo and Yamaha run much cooler if memory serves me well.

TheEAR(s) Now theears