Old crossover - new rebuilt crossover

Cohoangler

Thanks to all who helped with advice and guidance on my crossover rebuild project for my Heresy II's.  I'm not sure I could have done this without the advice and encouragement from the folks on this BB, including Bob Crites.  And to top it all off, the new crossovers work perfectly!  Miracles never cease! And my speakers sound better than brand new.  Thanks again.  

Here is the old (top) and the new (bottom).  New caps plus new wiring to the speaker components (18 gauge speaker wire from Monster cable)

IMG_0862 (6).JPGIMG_0877.JPG

Did you use adhesive to hold the capacitors to the PCB (you don't want the capacitors supported by the leads or vibrating during play). 

From the picture, it doesn't look like you wound the wires back around the input terminals. 

Sorry to nit-pick!

You are correct. When I took the pic, I wasn't quite finished with the project.  I wasn't confident my re-built crossovers were going to function properly (due to my lack of soldering skills), so I did not re-solder the input posts or re-glue the caps, until I re-installed the crossover and tested it.  If it didn't work correctly, I wanted to be able to disassemble it fairly easily.  I took the pic before I did the final testing. 

Fortunately, everything works great!  In fact,  the speakers sound unbelievable.  Over the weekend, I listened to some CD's that I've played hundreds of times, and I was hearing things I've never heard before.  The level of "detail" in the sound is beyond anything I would have thought possible.  Even my teenagers noticed a huge jump in sound quality (but my wife is still unimpressed with my high-end stereo equipment, but that's another story.......).  

My Heresy II's were terrific speakers before the re-build, but now they're phenomenal!  

Thanks again for the folks on this BB for their advice and encouragement. 

• Like 1