Upper freq limit of Khorn bass?

rune

Is the upper frequency limit of the Khorn basshorn 400Hz?

When I made the type A x-over I let out the inductors in the bass.I listened to them for each change,and without the mids/highs.And when one of the horn played without the inductor and one with,the one without played much higher in freqs than 400hz...I did for sure here freqs up in the 1k+++ area..

The reason I ask is that I came across a Altec 511b(500 hz x-over) with 802-8D driver and the original x-over here in Norway.It's very rare seen over here!.I have read so much about this that I just have to jump on it and try what the fuzz is all about..I will run it on top of the bass cabinet of the Khorn....

What do ya think?

Regards,

Rune

I think what you heard is correct as far as it goes.

I do testing on my bass horns with an LMS system. It sweeps a sine wave from a chosen upper limit, usually 15000 Hz down to 20 Hz. One can watch the numbers roll down on the computer and hear the output of the speakers.

Yes, there is some output way into the midrange and I'd expect the inductor would knock it down, as it is supposed to. You're hearing that.

On the other hand, the typical window for technically advertised response is plus or minus 3 dB from the average. You must appreciate that our terrific hearing mechanisms allows us to perceive a wide range of levels. It is difficult to hear 3 dB error without a side by side comparison, by ear. Room response causes far greater errors.

The curves I've seen for the K-Horn in a Journal of Audio Engineering Society show that the K-Horn is strong up to about 350 Hz and then is getting ragged. It is no wonder that PWK used the K-400 midrange to get that midrange to work down to 400 Hz. There is an arguable "hole" otherwise. But it is more a matter of technical numbers than what we hear, in fact.

On the other hand, I would not discourage you at all. It seems like a wonderful project worthy of your efforts.

As pointed out, the K-5 and crossover seem to have been designed for 500 Hz. No one is saying it sounded bad. Some people favor it.

You also have to consider how far 400 Hz is from 500 Hz. You say, obviously 100 Hz. But that doesn't tell the story.

Think about piano keys. If you start at 400 Hz, the next octave is 800 Hz (a doubling). So very roughly, going from 400 Hz to 500 Hz is just a couple of keys on the piano in issue. That is what you're overly concerned about. It is relatively small.

OTOH, if we were talking about 100 Hz to begin with (a bass area) going 100 Hz up would be a doubling or a hole octave to 200 Hz or eight whole notes. But we're not dealing with that here.

I'd think there is no reason to shy away from the project.

Gil