Integrated tube amp for Chorus II setup?

A_Felio

I recently purchased a pair of Chorus II for my new 2-channel setup. I have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD for my source. I'm debating 2 different integrated tube amps to accompany these, the Cary SLI-80 Signature (40 wpc Triode/80 wpc UL) and the Conrad Johnson CAV-50 (25 wpc Triode/45 wpc UL). The Cary is going to run a bit under $3000 new, not many used ones available it seems. I can get the C-J for $1300 - 1500 used (+/- $2500 new). Any opinions on either amp would be appreciated.

Two very different amps really. The CJ CAV-50 is an EL-34 based amp that is essentially the MV-55 side of the amp equation. The Cary SLI-80 Signature is based around the 6550/KT-88 and will be a different type sound. The Cary does have tube rectification, however, while the CAV-50 is solid state. The Cary, obviously given the output tube choice and circuit, will be more powerful. The Signature version of the SLI-80 does have more hefty outputs. Frankly, I see both used although regarding the Cary not always in the Signature version. The SLI-80 does come up via Audiogon though (as does the CAV-50).

On the whole, you probably would like either one based on which type of presentation you prefer. The EL-34 is generally a more musical tube in the average design. I think it has a more harmonically rich sound than the average 6550. The KT-88 is a much better tube, in my opinion, compared to the 6550. Still, neither is quite as rich and tube-like as a good EL-34.

The CAV 50 comes one way... But the Cary SLI-80 does have many options. I would imagine the Copper oil coupling caps would be a better match for this amp.

In essence, you have a lot of varibles here, with your music taste, room size, and listening habits really weighing in. Another point, the Cary SLI-80 can be wired Triode switchable while the CAV-50 needs to be modified with that resistor/rewire at the sockets.

For me, it's a hard call. Both offer adjustable bias and you might be able to try more tube variations with the SLI-80. Perhaps Cary is good to work with as Dennis Had and Kirk offer personal assistance and can change things around per your taste.

What type of music do you listen to? What are your listening habits?

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-12-2002 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the detailed response. The SLI-80 literature lists EL-34, KT88, 6550 as well as other tubes as suitable, does the CAV-50 also allow this flexibility?

As far as music preference goes, I listen to mostly classic rock, some metal and alternative. My jazz listenening is limited to occasional background music.

If that is the case, then the Cary is far more flexible although some might find the wide range not too be optimized enough for a certain tube. Still, it is an acceptable compromise on the whole. You need a meter with the Cary but I believe the CAV-50 has the little light that goes green when the bias is adjusted (optimized for EL-34 only). The light approach is nice for ease but the meter is more flexible and provides you with the variables for more control.

If chosing between the two, I might go with the Cary. But the CAV-50 is less and easier to find used. Based on your music taste, you might find the Cary more to your liking with the CAV-50 more jazz oriented.

If possible, I would really try to find either to audition to get a handle on the sound. Finding a Cary dealer is a tougher prospect. Of the two, again I would think the Cary would be better for rock. You would probably want UL for heavy listening. Having switching between triode and UL is a benefit(the cary comes with this as either standard or an option), though a slight compromise but, in your case, worth it.

Only listening in your own home will ultimately reveal the answer here, however.

kh

ps- Tube rolling in BOTH amps will bring much improvement given the stock offerings.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-12-2002 at 01:11 PM