First HT and need some advice

Buster

I'm about to buy my 1st ht and I'm not sure which speakers to go with. The room is 15 x 22 with a vaulted ceiling. I was considering the Synergy System 6 (sb-1, sc.5, ss.5 and ksw10)or maybe the Synergy Monitors (sb-3, ss-1, sc-1, and ksw12). My wife wants me to put the fronts in her new wall unit, but this would require that they be installed horizontal. Would that be an issue with the horns?

I'm thinking of buying a Denon 2801 and dvm-1800 to complete the system. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Glad to see you considering Klipsch's for the HT! I'll let someone else address the horns-on-their-side question (never tried it myself), but I'd suggest getting a 12" sub no matter whether you go with the System 6 or the Synergy Monitors. You'll appreciate the extra bass, especially with a room that size.

Buster, you would not be doing yourself any favors if you put the speakers on their side. Both of the front types of speakers you are looking at have a 90 degree by 60 degree Tractrix horn loaded tweeter. They are made to be upright as the 90 is horizontal and the 60 is vertical. You invert these angles when you turn the speakers on their side. Also, I would have to assume that the wall unit has a back to it. If that is the case there will be some bass distortion as both front speakers have rear firing wide flare ports. Typically you would want a rear firing port speaker at least 8 inches from the wall and not in an enclosed space if at all possible. I know how hard it can be to deal with a wife who just does not understand the importance of our systems. I still have to set my RS-3's on TV trays when I listen to multi-channel recordings because they are well hidden on the shelfs. I also told her that grill covers greatly distort the sound, so she will have to stare at those "ugly orange things", oh the hell that is my life.

Good luck with the wife and happy listening!

JT

ps: Check out the professional section of the website for the in-wall speakers. I also think www.UBid.com has had some in-wall stock that Klipsch is discontinuing.

Hi Buster,

I have the Synergy System 6 as my everyday system. I upgraded to the 12" woofer as DD suggests in his post. Well worth the extra push in money. My dealer let me listen to both the 10" and the 12" and charged me very little to upgrade (he sells the System 6 as a package). But, I deal with him exclusively and have purchased all of my equipment from him. You'll see my "BIG" system in my signature. Good luck.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KSP-S6 rear center

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000