I have a Yamaha HTR 5150 70x5 reciever. Need to know if the klipsh synergy series ...

afraid

Hello,

I bought a pair of SB-1 speakers the other day for my receiver. They may not be top of the line klipsh, but they sound awsome! However when i looked to buy the mathching set, SC.5, SS.5 i noticed they can only handle 50 watts rms.

I would like to know if my receiver if too strong for them. I play my dvds pretty damn loud and i would hate to spend all that money on speakers that crap out. &0x5 may not sound like much, but its a damn pretty good receiver. Its actually the sam on the inside as the 595a (yamaha told me this, just a different face plate. Please help me out on this. If i need to i guess i could finish the set with an SC1 and the SS1, but im on a strict self imposed budget and would like to stay with the set.

thank you very much,

nathan

Afraid - (Don't be). Most of the time you are probably actually sending just a few watts into your speakers. Remember the sensitivity rating? (90-91db with just 1 watt!!) RMS means continuous input. I'm not an expert on this, but I think you'd have to leave the room to save your ears if you ran 50 watts into those things continuously. The extra power in your amp (and 200 watt peak rating on the speaker) is to handle those infrequent bursts of power that are needed).

Doug

Many people have very powerful amps--more so than they need. Depending on the product you can get better amplification with the bigger amps at lower volumes.

Your Klipsch's will play very loud at less than 50 watts. A more important question is how they sound in the room & does it satisfy your ears.

Any good seller will let you demo the product in home. Take them home and give em a listen, it would be better to upgrade now if you feel your missing something. If he wont let you take em home, go elsewhere where they appreciate your business. This is a great hobby and a good dealor relationship can be a nice thing! Just remember relationships go both ways.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks!

Sorry for all the missssspellings and punctuation errors. I was very tired at the time. I will go and buy the surrounds in a few weeks, then the center. Can anyone recommend a good subwoofer? Klipsh makes awsome speakers, but the subs i heard at the dealer sounded weak...

Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

Sorry for all the missssspellings and punctuation errors. I was very tired at the time. I will go and buy the surrounds in a few weeks, then the center. Can anyone recommend a good subwoofer? Klipsh makes awsome speakers, but the subs i heard at the dealer sounded weak...

Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Afraid,

I dont know, but wouldnt you be better off with the 'real' matching center and surrounds, which are the sc1 and ss1? They have efficiency ratings of over 94db, and can easily handle over 100wrms. I have the SB3 monitors up front, and like the other synergy models, including yours, they match to my sc1s and ss1s. good luck.