What is the difference between "large" and "small" settings?

trvale

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between "small" and "large" speaker settings on my Onkyo TX-DS595? I know it sends different frequencies to the speaks, but what about to the sub? I have small speakers (Quintets) so should I set my fronts to small and leave the crossover on the sub all the way up? What is the best way to go about setting up these small speakers. I know Quintets are childs play compared to some of the Reference systems you guys have, but I am supprisingly very happy with there performance in home theater. But for music they just lack good mid range and was hoping to get my sub to pick up the slack. Also what do you guys think about those used KSB 1.1 on ebay? Do you think if I replaced my fronts with these I could get better mid range for music. And would they work well with the rest of my quintet center and rears? I need small speakers. Sorry for asking do many lo-fi, dumb questions.

large setting puts more bass into the speakers, small tells the amp that the speakers can not handle as much bass so it is redirected to the subwoofer.

no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people. (i heard that at church yesterday) not meant at you, just remembered from your last statement Smile.gif

what sounds best to you? if set to large, do they distort at high volumes? if no then keep that setting. if they do distort,then try the small speaker setting.

The entire synergy line does not have the best midrange, but getting a larger speaker would help. I went from SB-2's to SF-2's and that helped the midrange in the synergy 6 we used to have. going to the sb 1 shoud help here also. it should all still match up pretty good, you may want to get a new center if you feel that one lacks in movies' vocals.

i enjoyed our quintet system up till my brother was bequeathed it. Smile.gif what sub do you have?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

The Quintets pose an interesting connection requirement. They drop off at about 100-120hz. Most bass management crossovers in receivers cut the bass at 80hz. So, if you use the sub connection on your receiver, you are potentially missing the 80 to 100/120hz frequencies.

I suggest this type of connection.

1) Set center and rear channels to small. This will direct all bass below the receiver's crossover point to the large channels and/or subwoofer. Set the front channels to large.

2) If your receiver has adjustable crossover, set it to about 100hz if you can. This will only affect the channels you set as small (centers/rear). The large channels will still receive the full range.

3) Say subwoofer = No in your receiver, so it sends all bass output to the front channels, which you set to large.

4) Connect your sub to the receiver's speaker level outputs for the front speakers.

5) Connect your front speakers to the speaker connections on the sub.

6) Set the crossover on the sub to 120hz.

That should let you get most of the frequencies out of your system.

BTW, the Quintets have built-in high pass filters that dump anything below about 100-120hz.

And, yes, the KSB1.1s will sound better for music in the front than Quintets, IMHO.

Hope that made some sense.

DD

------------------

My System

I don't have an adjustable crossover, is there anyway to tell where my receiver is crossed-over? Also by hooking up the sub to the line-level hookups I would be losing the LFE channel in DD 5.1, which I don't want to do. If I set the speakers to large what kind of frequencies are sent to the sub? Lower or higher than when set to small?

"I don't have an adjustable crossover, is there anyway to tell where my receiver is crossed-over? "

Check the owner's manual. It will probably be discussed somewhere near where it talks about setting the speakers to large or small. If not, it is probably safe to assume it is 80hz, as that is the Dolby standard, I believe.

"Also by hooking up the sub to the line-level hookups I would be losing the LFE channel in DD 5.1, which I don't want to do."

Just to clarify, you would be hooking the sub to the speaker level hookups, versus the line level (which have the RCA jacks on them). When you say sub=No in your receiver, the LFE content in the .1 channel is redirected to the mains, I believe. Since your sub would be hooked to the main speaker outputs, it will reproduce those LFEs and you won't lose anything.

"If I set the speakers to large what kind of frequencies are sent to the sub? Lower or higher than when set to small?"

Depends on your receiver. Assuming you say sub=NO and hook it to the main speaker outputs as I suggest, all frequencies will be sent to the mains (set to large) and the sub will pick up what it is supposed to based on the crossover you set on the sub.

If you keep the sub hooked to the sub out, and the mains set to large, only the .1 LFE will go to the sub (and there is not ALL that much content in the .1 channel) and your mains will be left to reproduce the bass in the other 5 channels, which they are incapable of doing. However, your receiver may have a setting which permits you to direct bass (non-LFE) to both the fronts AND the sub, in which case you would not lose the lows.

Good luck Smile.gif

DD

------------------

My System