Upgrade the TT or the receiver?

willjk

Long story short my girlfriend bought me a entry level audio technical turntable (AT-LP60-BT) as a present which started me down this path.  I also play lossless audio files on my old ipod classic II (160 gig). I have an old Dennon DR-545R receiver (2-way 65 watt) that's plenty old but still works like a charm. I replaced my old Boston Acoustic speakers with R-26F's and a R-10SW sub recently.  The receiver has pre-outs for the sub. I listen to mostly rock music ranging from Radiohead to the Allman brothers. My receiver is also hooked up to my tv but I don't really care about surround sound at the moment. Am I better off spending as much as I can on better turntable now or should I upgrade the receiver first and upgrade the turntable at a later date? Room size is 20x15 with hardwood floors. I could spend around $700 on either at the moment. I'm fairly happy with the sound it puts out now but have a few more dollars to spend and want to try and get the biggest bang for the buck. I'm not a audiophile so take it easy on me! Thanks in advance all! 

Edited by willjk

Wow.....do realize you ....that you are asking a bunch of audio fanatics about upgrading. Personally I have been diagnosed with a very common condition called

Audioitice...the only medication is buying more audio...

Your statement is that you like what you have...but you want to get rid if the brightness of the R-26F's.....play with the tone controls for now...

As far as upgrading the turntable your girlfriend gave you......are you crazy...she gave you a turntable and you don't want it....NOT going to be good.

Maybe invest in a cartridge.....

Keep the turntable......and of course keep the girlfriend...you never know she may later think you need a McIntosh system....keep working on that one

George,

• Like 1

Really depends on how much you listen to records. If you a fairly large collection and you enjoy the experience of futzing with Lps. Then upgrade the tt. Otherwise go the other way!  I don't know a lot about the Tt you have so I cannot say that a 700 dollar option would be significantly better