Forum's Thoughts and Expertise Needed for RMHC Audio/HT System...

Mallette

...coming to a city near Hope soon and open to the public.

As this involves two channel and HT as well, I am placing this here so as to get maximum exposure. 

The Regional Music Heritage Center will announce publically the plans for the renovation of our building in downtown Texarkana within the next 30 days or less.  I am awaiting only an HVAC quote to present the budget to the Board for approval.  We wish to be done and open by the fourth quarter of this year or first quarter 2018.  What is NOT included in the budget is equipment.  That's where I need your help. 

The main listening system is all Klipsch Heritage 5.1, except for the ".1" not being Klipsch at the moment but a Cinema F6 horn sub.  It will be used as follows:

-as a 2 channel conventional stereo system.

-with Dynaco Quadapter for phase decoding of stereo recordings to 4 channel.

-with an HT receiver having discrete inputs for front and rear speakers that is direct, not through any decoder, for use with my 4 channel discrete recordings.

-as a theater system with ATMOS for film and video usage. 

-as a sound system for live music events in the building (K'horns will be on false corner stands with wheels for easy movement for this use).

So, I could use the wisdom of this group in planning for the equipage and engineering.  I successfully set up a system when I lived in Seabrook where I could switch from the 5.1 HT mode to a Quadapter driven system, but it was something only I could safely switch over and I'd like something a bit more goof proof and user friendly.  Thoughts on that welcome. 

As this system will be part of the RMHC's commemoration and honoring of PWK, the amps and such should reflect the quality of the Klipsch products they will drive.  Certainly a nice tube amp with sufficient power to drive the 4 speakers of the Quadapter usage as well as pure two channel would be nice.  Bear in mind our close relationship with the KHMA in Hope and that most of those exposed to this system are going to have their minds blown as few will have ever been exposed to a system of this quality.  As part of our displays, Klipsch literature will be available and we'll direct them to KHMA for more exposure and recommendations for Klipsch products they might purchase. 

My VPI Scout with it's 2M Black will be the main vinyl source, but my Sony R2R has an output amp issue I cannot resolve plus can't handle half track tapes, which will be part of our archiving operation so something on the order of an Otari MX-5050 would be very useful if we can find one at the right price in good working order.  For 78s, my Empire 598 Mark II with the RekOKut re-equalizer will work well, though a better 78 cartridge than the Stanton AL500 would be nice.

OPPO for CD, SACD, DVD-A, and BluRay will be budgeted. 

I have an adequate Yamaha cassette deck. 

Probably missed some things you guys will catch, so feel free to comment.  I've found some very highly user rated Marantz HT receivers that, if they have the necessary discrete and direct 4 channel inputs, in the <=2k range.  Other thoughts welcome...while high dollar stuff is welcome if donated, I've never been a high dollar=much better sound person as that isn't my experience.  As an NPO, I'll be looking for the best possible price/performance on every item or function. 

I am attaching a couple of images of the listening area for your reference.  One is a floor plan of the entire ground floor/mezzanine.  You will need the "Full Size" widget on the bottom left of the screen when you click on the plan to be able to enlarge it for closer examination. 

Mezzanine normally configured as a listening area, but reconfigurable as a stage for hosting up to 140 or so for performances.  Rendering needs updating, as I've decide to go with a ramp on the left of the stairs up rather than a wheelchair left as it's cheaper and make movement of pianos and such easier.  Probably have a few "comfy chairs" in the sweet spot when larger groups are not present as well.  I've also moved the audio equipment forward and will put media storage on the rear wall. However, it's close enough to get the idea. 

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Floor1.jpg

Mezzanine.jpg