Klipschorn Woofer Question

robertg

I'm running JBL E145 woofers now, but one is not as loud as the other and has 3.0 ohms DCR. I'm thinking it needs replacing.

A used E145 is difficult to find, so I'm thinking of buying a pair of Eminence Kappa 15C, or Crites CW1526. I don't listen to modern music usually, mostly 70's stuff, so I don't really need the low end bass. Will I be disappointed with the Eminance?

With the JBL woofers in the Khorn cabinets It seems like I have good bottom end because everything in the house vibrates, however it's missing the punch that my other JBL speakers have. The Khorns have backs on them made of 3/4" baltic birch, however they are in my basement which is a terrible room. I also think I'm going to add another layer of 1"baltic birch to the backs because they really vibrate.

Properly done more birch will certainly take out a lot of the vibration.   However it is often the corners of the box that are the problem.   Make sure the existing layer is seriously well fastened and secured because any lack of a good connection will just pass on to the second layer.    There is a material called green glue that the sound proofers put between layers of drywall to reduce vibration.   You might want to try some of it between the layers.