Ksw15 LFE signal sensor

Hi, I just bought a KSW15. I am very pleased with this subs performance, except for one aspect that is really pissing me off. I have my KSw15 in the back of my room next to my couch, it is actually a third subwoofer for my system, I use a pair of SP-1s for my mains. The SP-1s didnt hit nearly as low as I wanted for home theater, so I bought the KSW15, My problem is that when a movie hits a slow part of the action, say, 5-10 minutes w/out an explosion, the damn sub goes back to standby and wont come back on until there is some really deep bass being sent out on the LFE channel. It actually turned off about 5-10 minutes after the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan and did'nt turn itself back on again until they raided the machine gun post under the radar tower. It turned on in the middle of an explosion, needless to say, this did not sound very good. My SP-1s do not have this problem, the second a signal is sensed their amp turns on and stays on until 15-20 minutes after I shut the whole system down, they are very sensitive to LFE inputs. If there are adjustments that can made to fix the signal sensing sensitivity and/or how long before the sub goes to standby, somebody please help me!! Any help will be appreciated, Thanks

Hey ChristopherA

Sorry to hear about your problem, I have a KSW 10 and don't have that problem. Your sub may be crossed over too low, what do you have it set at? You can also try adjusting the bass management--send all the bass to the sub, the 15 can handle it & may keep it from turning off.

Anybody else?

Christopher - How do you have your sub connected? How is the bass management in your receiver set up? What do you have the speakers set as (large/small)? Quenten's on the right track, I suspect.

I'm guessing here, but it is likely that your SP-1s are actually "on" all the time you are using your system -- they never have the chance to go to sleep because you have them set to large, thus all bass is going to them all the time. If you are using only the .1 (truly the LFE) to your KSW-15, it will certainly go to sleep because of the low usage of the .1 channel in most DVDs. If you set your bass management to send all bass below your receiver's crossover point (either it's preset at some number like 80hz or you can tailor it) to your sub, and not just the .1 LFE, your sub will likewise never go to sleep and you'll get all the kick you want out of it.

On the other hand, I could be full of it...

Doug