Paradigm PW link

AsD

I've used other DTS Play-Fi devices (Def Tech W7 and W9 speakers, and a polk audio omni P1 - similar function to the Paradigm link).  It's a decent technology to give you an easy way to play the same music on multiple devices over WiFi.  The only downside to Play-Fi are the apps I've used aren't the best.  They work fine, but could use some refinement and development - which will happen in time as companies see the value in investing dev time.

I've phased out my play-fi devices for now, because I'm pretty much all Yamaha in the house (where I'd want to have whole house music anyway), and I find musiccast they offer is a bit more robust.  Also my W7 is dead after too much abuse, and the W9 has a blown driver and I don't feel like replacing them.  Going with in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen that will be connected to my Yamaha 860 zone 2.  

Anyway, the Paradigm comes with ARC - Anthem room correction. I don't know how well it works on the Paradigm devices, but Anthem has a great reputation and supposedly ARC is pretty good room correction.

I still think Play-Fi is a great concept and has a lot of promise as an alternative to Sonos.  The sound quality is very good.

3 hours ago, AsD said:

I don't care about multiroom at all. I am more interested in the room cerrection and general sound quality.

Ah ok.

So, where will this fit into your system?  The link is not an amp, and it's primary purpose is to add streaming music to your existing system.  I'm not sure how you would integrate the (likely limited) ARC available on the PW Link, to the rest of your system.  The way I see it, ARC that comes with the PW Link is for when you use the PW Link as a music source.  I'm not sure it will work as a pass though room correction device.  I could be wrong of course, and that could be an interesting solution.   

32 minutes ago, AsD said:

I would be using it as a streamer. Isn't that the sole purpose of the thing? 😛

I wouldn't usually look to Paradigm for a streamer but the room correction got me curious.

Oh!  haha.  When you said you weren't interested in multi-room - for some stupid reason I read that as you weren't interested in using the streaming functionality, hence my stupid question. (facepalm)

Well I haven't used the PW Link, the play-fi stuff I've used has no ARC or other room correction.  I feed my 2 channel play-fi device into my Yamaha 3070, which of course has YPAO for room correction.

Speaking of that, the PW link is also a 2 channel device, so I would assume the ARC applies to 2 channels only, but I'd have to play with it to find out or talk to Anthem about it.