Quintet ? For All The Electrical Engineers

SoonerFan

Textf>

I own a Cambridge Soundworks Speaker System for my computer. It uses SPDIF from soundcard to the sub/amp and has speaker wire connects for the satellites. I am wanting a better quality satellite and so I'm looking at a pair of Quintets. The amp supplies 8 watts per channel (RMS). Do you guys think I could run a Quintet fairly well in 8 watts being as Klipsch is so efficient?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

SoonerFan:

The Quintets are rated at 90 dB efficiency. At one watt, they will play that loud, at 2 watts 93 dB, at 4 watts 96 dB and at 8 watts 99 db. I am going to assume that amp might start to get funky before it puts out 8 watts. You will definitely hear a different sound with them (many feel better), but don't look for paint-peeling volume levels with that low wattage of an amp.

PhilH

I agree with Phil.

You might check the ratings of your present speakers. It may be that they're less efficent. Therefore, if you have the same placement, the Klipsch speakers might be more loud.

One thing about computer speakers is that you're typically sitting very close to them. So while they might not fill a room when you're 10 feet away, the close placement works to your advantage.

We might also point out that you're driving multiple speakers. Something else which bumps up the SPLs.

Gil