more on cable length

mmiles

from my last posting it seems the majority say keep the audio connection as short as possible. based on my newly planned location for the a/v receiver, dvd and digital cable box the video cable from the dvd to the tv would be about 20-23 feet. would you run component video, s-video or would you connect the dvd video to the receiver (yamaha 2200) and back out?

patience all you seasoned folks out there. hey when it's done,if i move all this stuff, i'll post a pic! exiting i know... really!

First, I ran a 75ft inexpensive SVHS cable between my 27" Sony and Outlaw AVR and I'm thrilled with the impressive picture, but I'm told moving to progressive scan and component video would be a notable improvement.

I'm wondering how to switch to component video. I could put a progressive scan DVD on the TV but then I'd have l/r signal cables of 75ft. Is there a distance limitation? It certainly keeps me from being able to afford quality interconnects.

I needed a long cable because I had to run it down, over, across, up, across, down and out. All the turns add up. My actual walking distance from screen to receiver is only about 17ft.

I chose the location because I wired the room for a projector and the projector would be much closer to my equipment stack.

maybe one of the seasoned video vets will step forward and assist us in our quest of "how long" is "to long".

reading in my yamaha manual the say you can connect dvd to component video on rear of recevier and connect tv (sounds so insultive to call a 55" mits a "tv") to the reciever via s-video or video (which looks like a rca jack?).

someone help us and i'll stop chewing up bandwidth... promise.

I am running a 35' SVid cable to my projector at the moment. It looks great.

I was in contact with, I bieleve his name was John, from Cobalt Cable to ask that same question. Check out his web site and email him, He answered a lot of questions from me before I purchased cables.

www.cobaltcable.com

I can recomend his products as well. His cables are superior quality at "Monster Cable" prices.

JM

----------------

On 10/10/2002 10:37:02 PM j-malotky wrote:

I am running a 35' SVid cable to my projector at the moment. It looks great.

I was in contact with, I bieleve his name was John, from Cobalt Cable to ask that same question. Check out his web site and email him, He answered a lot of questions from me before I purchased cables.

www.cobaltcable.com

I can recomend his products as well. His cables are superior quality at "Monster Cable" prices.

JM

----------------

JM.... I was running a 30~35' SVid cable. However I changed to a component to my projector and noticed a very nice difference. I had to have it specially made at a local audio/video shop, cost me $100, but well worth it.

JM.... I was running a 30~35' SVid cable. However I changed to a component to my projector and noticed a very nice difference. I had to have it specially made at a local audio/video shop, cost me $100, but well worth it.

----------------

Rick

I plan to go to progressive when I build my HDPC over this winter, connecting directly to the projector data input. From what I hear/read, it will be quite an improvement.

JM

tell us more about "hdpc". if not on the forum you can email me at mam165@comcast.net. i often thought when will pc's and software replace preamps, onscreen programming options, system control, media selection etc.? hey the got pc / ham radios so it could happen.

I did a test today of a SONY Progressive Scan DVD connected to my 55" Mitsu Platinum Plus with simple 1 meter component cables. I then compared it to my Toshiba interlaced DVD connected with a 75' SVHS cable. At first I couldn't tell the difference but then I looked at diagonal lines--or edges of solids against lighter background and found there was notably less "stair-stepping" of the lines/curves.

In summary I'm not concerned about a 75' SVHS cable but I need to replace it any my DVD with Progressive Scan. I can connect the DVD near my TV and then run a long optical cable for connection to my receiver on the other end of the room, or should I run three long component cables? My perception is that one long optical cable would be better. Can you buy a 60' or so optical cable? Or should I use 75ohm coax?