Cornscalas

ishwash

21 hours ago, wdecho said:

No, or very little, hardly noticeable. A good sub is all that is needed. 

You always surprise me with your answers, and I mean that admiringly.

You are a "high power is not necessary audiophile guy" Your comment that you need a sub makes me really curious. I may have to come up there and see your setup when we go to Gulf Shores area in a week or two.

For instance, you are using low watt tube-type amp, right? If you want to use a sub in your system, how are you peeling a bass signal off your low power amp and sending it to the sub's amp? I have it in my mind that a low-power tube-type amp doesn't have a subwoofer out circuit, right? You can message me private if you wish, but I imagine others have the same question. Thanks!

Guest wdecho

I use a preamplifer or buffer with my tube amplifiers for volume control and all of them have pots as well. I just turned them wide open and use my pre or buffer for volume control. The main reason is to be able to use a sub with my many amplifiers. I have high power amps as well, mainly the TPA3255 class D amps with way over 125 watts but to be honest only using around a couple of watts of all that power with LaScala's. Big horns are perfect for low output amplifiers like 5 or 6 watt SET's. I've found that 5 or 6 watts is the sweet spot. With one or two watts you will sacrifice some bottom end. The primary pre or ,in reality a line stage, I use is one presented by Nelson Pass at one of his at the Burning Amp Festival a few years back. My buffer is the 2nd version of the B1 buffer. I built both of them myself like all my gear. I did have some retail amplifiers I bought years ago but gave them all away when I retired and started back playing with electronics as a hobby. Also have some A/B amplifier boards with over 100 watts that I have removed from my test chassis with power supplies. A few did sound really good but class A is what I love. I do still have a gainclone I built years ago that is a very respectable sounding amplifier even if A/B. If memory is correct maybe 60 watts. 

22 hours ago, wdecho said:

I use a preamplifer or buffer with my tube amplifiers for volume control and all of them have pots as well. I just turned them wide open and use my pre or buffer for volume control. The main reason is to be able to use a sub with my many amplifiers. I have high power amps as well, mainly the TPA3255 class D amps with way over 125 watts but to be honest only using around a couple of watts of all that power with LaScala's. Big horns are perfect for low output amplifiers like 5 or 6 watt SET's. I've found that 5 or 6 watts is the sweet spot. With one or two watts you will sacrifice some bottom end. The primary pre or ,in reality a line stage, I use is one presented by Nelson Pass at one of his at the Burning Amp Festival a few years back. My buffer is the 2nd version of the B1 buffer. I built both of them myself like all my gear. I did have some retail amplifiers I bought years ago but gave them all away when I retired and started back playing with electronics as a hobby. Also have some A/B amplifier boards with over 100 watts that I have removed from my test chassis with power supplies. A few did sound really good but class A is what I love. I do still have a gainclone I built years ago that is a very respectable sounding amplifier even if A/B. If memory is correct maybe 60 watts. 

There you have it folks! Mostly Greek, but I am almost "askeert" because I sort of understand it...chuckle...Pretty amazing...smart people doing smart things very quietly and motivated only by a drive to please themselves. Thanks, but that didn't reduce my desire to see your sxxx...🤣...