RP-3 or SP-1 as rears

tgourlie

I am currently upgrading my entire system. I now have Heresy II's in front with a KSW-15 (unbelievable). Now I need some rears. How much of an affect will the di/bi poles have in a small room. I'm thinkin if I lose the directivity it will end up mixing with my fronts in such a small room. Now about the RP-3 and the SP-1's, are they a little low to the ground to be rears. If so could I use a cinder block or something to get them higher without affecting playback in any way? Now if the above is true, then I will have to choose between the two. I know the Reference series is probably better, but The powered 12 is not that important since I have the 15. But if I'm getting the towers I might as well get one withe a powered sub. In my book to much bass at hand is never a problem. I can always turn the gains down to tune the system. Could using the Heresy's as surrounds be an option? They are kind of big to be putting back there in my small room. I also need a center channel. Either the RC-1 or the SC-1. I'm thinin with the system I have I might as well get the RC-1 even though it is a little big. I heard that klisch has a center channel they put out a couple of years ago that has a folded horn in it? is this true? I think the model was something like KPC-S5 or something. I saw it on audioreview.com. Any help would be great.

No real need for built-in powered subs in the rear...What would be ideal is 3 more Heresies! If you really want Reference Series...get either the RF-3's (no powered sub) or even RS-3's and RC-3 and use the money you saved to buy a better sub. Just one man's opinion.

Dave

i agree w/ dave pretty much. how space limited are u? i think the better timbre match for the heresy are the legend or of course the heritage lines. if possible i'd put legend towers in front w/ a good sub & c-7 center & delegate the heresy to the rear.

jmo

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I agree 3 more Heresies would be great! But I cannot find them anywhere. Plus the are not video shielded, so that would really work out for me as a center channel. Yesterday I went looking at some options. I really like the KLF-C7 as a center. And I also had the same idea of using the KLF-20 or 30's as fronts and the heritage in the rear. But money really got to be an option there. I was getting NO deals on the legend series. They want 500 for the center and 2000 for the 30 and 1600 for the 20's. My space is you average bedroom. But nothing is in it. It is going to be a theater. And as far as the built in sub in the rear, the sub would be hooked up to my LFE out from my KSW-15, (daisy chained if you will). SO it would be just like having two more subs firing with my 15. And the tweet and midrange would act as a rear like a bookshelf. I heard both the RP-3 and the SP-1 yesterday, I must say I liked the Synergy better. Much brighter, although the Reference had a bigger stage due to the bigger horn. But overall I thought the SP-1 was more "real" in it's playback. RP-3 seemed a little too warm, even though we were demo it on a HDCD on a H/K reciever. Speaking of H/K.... WOW very impressed with the new line. The one I tested was only 70W per channel, but at 25 amps. They don't call them Wattifiers they call them amplifiers.

So now I'm thinkin C7 to match the Hertiage in front and SP-1 for rears. Any Input?

how about sf-2, sc-1 front & center & heresy in rear. maybe it's too engrained w/ me to put towers in front w/ the sub & heresys in rear.

you're probably fine there though as the c-7 is a good match w/ my cornwalls(heritage line class) & (u do know the sf-1 have powered subs built in?) u get the rear sub effect (may have to turn em down some & hopefully not a lot conflict w/ your ksw).

*jmo- be sure to set it up & listen before commiting (most good dealers charging msrp (1800 on klf-30 btw) would let u try em at home).

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!