VELODYNE OR KLIPSCH

sgtlarsen

Your main speakers? Your room size,any openings tnto the rest of the house.

How much can you spend?

On the side the Velodyne HGS series(Velodyne's most musical,most accurate subs)prepare to spend from $1500US and up(even the tiny HGS10 is on the expensive side).

A great alternative is the SPL series,still good sub bass quality,more punch start at $800(SPL800).I would at least look at the SPL1000,as the 800 lacks serious output(for all byt the smallest rooms).

More later...when I leave work 2.gif

I am back! 6.gif

I would not even consider the lesser Velodynes(just me here)as they dont stand out in performance over subs from many competitors in price/performance.

Now Klipsch has two series going as you know the KSW and RSW.

The KSW subs are geared toward the cheapo segment.RSW subs are designed to be competitive against high quality subs.KSW subs tend to be boomy when cut high,below 60Hz gives the best results.

While the RSW series are not competotive with SVS or Velodyne HGS on deep sub bass they provide clean and defined bass.Solid to around 30Hz they are all most will need.And you can cut the RSW subs high(80Hz)with no nasty boomy effect.

RSW subs can be matched with very compact monitors quite well and provide the low end filler for larger speakers like RF7's.I tried my RSW10 with a wide range of speakers.From the budget Paradigm Atom to the Dynaudio Contour 1.1 and Totem Tabu.Worked great and never boomy or undefined.

If you have planty to spend and want a Velo or Klipsch the Velodyne HGS18 is a easy choice,if your budget is more restrained but you want all the quality get the RSW10 or 12.Now if you must spend a minimum stay away from the KSW10 and get the KSW12.

Just my two cents

I suffered from the same dilemma as you when I purchased my first sub. The KSW-15, or the CT-150 (basically the same sub as the CHT). I opted for the Velodyne and still feel it was the better choice, BUT, both tend to be boomy. My satisfaction was relatively short lived. While either will give you some rumble effect during movies, music will not be very satisfying. For myself, I plan on upgrading to the SVS Ultras now. If money is the key issue, WAIT, save those pennies. Then buy what you really want, or at least wait and spend an extra couple of hundred for something that won't be musically disappointing.

something to be said for a company that makes only subs, like velo, svs. i'd definitely lean toward a comparable velo over a ksw.

but if its not down to those two for sure, definitely take a look at the lowest priced subs at www.svsubwoofers.com just a lil more than $500 for the smaller powered sub or you could get the nonpowered w/ a good powered plate amp for $500 easy. if i were starting out again & looking for a <$1000 sub, svs would be where i'd go.

btw prod, that is amazing. funny some reviewers say the hgs is a great music sub & others say its a great HT sub. i agree w/ them. 9.gif

Boa you know as well as I do Velodyne HGS are great for music and movies.I would say a Velo HGS18 is ideal for music.With its dual tandem push pull motor system it has one of the most powerful motor systems found in any sub.

Sunfires are ideal for HT and do a lesser job forcmusic unless cut very low(below 60Hz).Klipsch RSW series are ideal for music and HT an OK job for HT,KSW series are ...boomy and need more care when setup is done.

SVS do great with music and are top choices for HT use,Aerial Acoustics is AWESOME as a music sub and does wonders in with HT material.The Revel ...ah punch of a RSW15 with deep bass output of an HGS(20Hz and above).

To anyone looking for a great and inexpensive sub in the $500US range...PARADIGM PW2200 is the best choice,can be found almost anywhere and is solid(performance and build).Its has great output,goes LOW and quality is good.

ears, ahhh yes forgot to mention the paradigm 2200. as someone said the chevy 327 engine of subs. 16.gif

i love th hgs-18 for music. clean bass w/ excellent definition. & for ht still has the power & extension flat to 12.5hz.

only problem is the accelometer/servo that provides such low distortion (much less than my klipsch speakers) also clamps down for the monster spl like the svs. still it equals if not bests the rsw-15 in max around 31hz - 123db i believe. below 31hz its no contest for the hgs-18 against an rsw. 2.gif