7.1 Channel Material

robforst1

Im surely no expert,but i think there is alot of confusion on 7.1 decoding.I dont think there is 7.1 on anything.However I have a pioneer elite with 7.1 and you can use 2 extra rear channels even on 5.1 material.I was a little sceptical about getting it too,but Im glad I did.

fm, you're right it is confusing between speakers & true discrete channels. there is no format that has 7.1 DISCRETE channels. closest is dts ES 6.1 discrete w/ 6.1 discrete channels (or 7

total discrete channels including the discrete though limited bandwidth LFE channel). 16.gif

• 2 months later...

From what I gather, THX is not an "encoded" format like Dolby Digital, etc., but rather is a set of benchmark standards that gear is certified to, in an attempt to ensure that the mastering of the CD and the playback hardware are capable of reproducing the listening experience in the way that Hollywood intended, for both commercial and home cinemas.

As for THX ES, Ultra, or Ultra2 certifications, I've not listened to them in a properly tuned environment to compare them one to the other, and I know technical advancements rapidly change things, so I may be admittedly way off base here... Call me cynical, BUT, given the durability of today's gear, and the revelation of the Japanese electronics industry's "planned obsolesence" design strategy, I wouldn't be surprised if the differences in certs were even discernable to most, but a new "feature" to spur sales. Same holds true for the THX group, since they charge manufacturers a fee to put their gear into the cert program - it's a win-win situation for everyone, except maybe the consumer.

Any thoughts?

As posted previously, 5.1 is the now standard. Some receivers will matrix the left & right surround sound channels to create a unique discrete sixth channel... thus, you can enjoy a worthwhile 6.1 from any 5.1 DVD. As mentioned above, both Dolby and dts have 6.1 formats on some of the newer DVD's. 7.1 is somewhat of a misnomer in that it is really a 6.1 configuration with a provision to run two speakers off the sixth channel. A well configured 6.1 (or above) system with adequate speakers is a treasure indeed! =HornEd

PS: The big advantage of 7.1 is that it draws the sweet spot closer to the back of the room. Of course, people who use WDST speakers can do as well with a 6.1 configuration since their speakers spray the sound all over the room.