Another humming subwoofer!

KGK1958

I know there are a bunch of humming subwoofer threads, but please indulge me and let me share what's going on with my KSW-300. The thing hums. It's not a ground-loop hum...I've taken care of that problem. If you plug the SW into the wall and turn it on, it hums. Even when it's not in any way connected to the pre-amp or anything else. Just plugged into the wall. I could take this thing anywhere in the USofA, plug it in, turn it on and it'll hum. Not very loud, mind you. But noticable. And when it IS hooked up to the system and turned on, it REALLY hums. Again, not a ground loop. I'm thinking that the issue is that the amp in this thing isn't very good and cheap amps usually hum, so....

I have the exact same problem, it hums by itself. Turn on a receiver and it hums louder. I was thinking about getting a line conditioner like the Monster HTS 2600, hoping that would solve the problem. But of course no money so I never got one. Was thinking about trying to get one this summer, then if it doesn't work see if I can return it.

I read to day something today that might solve our problem. My sub has always been connected to a different outlet than the rest of my commonents, mostly because of where they are positioned. But I read that if you plug the sub into the same outlet as the rest of the components/receiver it could get rid of the humm. I have to go try this out sometime. Only problem is moving that damn heavy entertainment center.

Why not simply use an extension cord , (even if only as a test ) to plug the sub into the same circuit as the rest of the system ? That way if the fix takes you get to move everything around - If not then you get to try some other approach without having gained a hernia or having put off that overdue term paper again.

Yes we know your games - GrassHopper - !!!!

FWIW...I am using an Audio Power Wedge Ultra 116 Power conditioner. It has a bank of four outlets for amplifiers...I have the subwoofer plugged into one of these outlets, and I also swapped out the power cord for an MIT Z-Cord II. Still hums. I'm really thinking that Klipsch went cheap on the amp in this thing. What I'd like to try is a passive subwoofer driven by a very good amp. I'm running all McIntosh multi-channel amps and I'm thinking of getting an SVS passive sub or a McIntosh passive sub and running it off one bridged mono channel of my current amplfiers. Or maybe trying the Mac active sub...3.gif

• 2 years later...

I cured my HUMMING problem by converting my three prong plug to a two prong plug.

Apparently, the humming in my subwoofer was caused by a grounding problem.

If you can't or won't pull the third prong from your plug, connect it to an extension or converter that changes it to two prongs.

I used an extension and pulled off the third prong.

Voila! Humming gone, instantly.

And to think, I was going to sell it on EBAY to buy a new one!