KSW 15

erik4

Hello:

I listen to my stereo at relatively low levels (background music

level)but still enjoy a good solid low end. The auto-on, off feature

on my KSW 15 subwoofer doesn't seem to activate unless I turn my

stereo up past the volume I like to listen to. I can leave the

subwoofer "on" but it stays on even when I turn the equipment off. I

use an LFE (sub) output from my receiver to the speaker inputs on the back of my sub via

a "y" connector. Here are my questions: Is it a good idea to plug in

the subwoofer to a switched outlet (mine are currently all in use)or

can I leave it on 24/7. How much power does it use just sitting? Is it OK to leave the power on all the time? Why

doesn't the auto - on/off work at low levels. The sub is definitely

getting a signal. Thanks for your response. Suggestions?...I've tried

using the volume controls on the back of the unit but to no avail.

well, I have that prob with my RSW-15, but it doesn't really matter because most of my listening is at higher volumes. If I am listening to something softer, I just flip the auto on feature off, than on again, that way it is set to on, and stays on for the rest of the movie because than it realizes it's been sitting around missing all of the little things.

erik, i'd have the sub on an unswitched plug. that's what the auto standby feature is for. its on an extremely low power level on standby so its using practically no power if any at all.

as for the sub waking up. what is your sub level set to in the receiver? when i calibrate my speaker levels w/ a sound meter i make sure to do the sub level 1st & set it flat (0db) in the prepro. then i adjust the subs own output knob to set it at the right level (87 db in my case).

iow, i make sure the sub level's not set lower than 0db so it doesn't have as much trouble waking up at low volume. also have my lfe level set at 0 (not like -10db) in the prepro most all the time.

if your receiver sub level &/or lfe level are turned down to like -5db or something then that might cause the sub to not wake-up as readily at lower volumes, since its not getting enough of an input signal.

How are your speakers configured (large/small) on all channels?

If they are all large, then the only signal hitting your sub is actual LFE content (the .1 in 5.1), and there may not be enough regular content in that channel to keep your sub on, and it may be so brief that by the time your sub wakes up the moment has passed.

Also, I don't believe you'll have any problem leaving the sub on all the time. They consume virtually nothing when idle. There are many on this board that leave their solid-state stuff (like amps/preamps/CD players/etc.) on all the time.

DD