What volume level to set receiver to

m00n

----------------

On 10/28/2002 4:57:06 PM j-malotky wrote:

Moon

0db on my system produces about 100db. It is way too loud to tollerate white noise callibration. I calibrated mine at -15db about 85 db.

JM

----------------

What DB did you have your spl set to?

yeah that's why I put "reference level" in quotes. 9.gif dolby reference level is what, 120db+? 6.gif

i don't pay any attention to ref level. i have my own. i use my pre/pro tones & they're not adjustable w/ its main volume control. puts out a constant level on the tones.

i follow their advice & level all speaks to 85db w/ it (well maybe a lil higher on meter peaks from the sub). that's the main thing w/ calibration - levels of the various speaks are balanced. & when i put on ac/dc - stiff upper lip dvd & crank it to 0db, the meter is bouncing around 115 db. 3.gif

i just wouldn't calibrate (balance) the speaks so that the sub level (or lfe level for that matter) is negative - then the sub may not wake up as readily at lower volumes. don't have any of my speaks or sub levels negative for that matter, as i start w/ the sub & calibrate all the speaks off the sub level.

So if I unerstand what your saying, you would set your receive to about -15 and then adjust from there? I have to figure out how to set my subs because I have no test tones for testing that from my receiver. It skips right over the sub.

moon, you might want to use a test disc like video essentials instead. take it you're getting or got a sound meter(?).

here's what they say on dolby or thx "reference level". sorry i was going by horned's sub "ref level". 9.gif basically that reference level should be when the receiver is set to 0db & you get 85db w/ 105db peaks.

iow, when you play your receiver tones at 0db it should compensate to set the meter to 85db. sounds like some don't do this.

but when we play material w/ dif components & klipsch you can see this is all blown to h anyway. if i put mine on 0db w/ a loud dvd its more like 115db w/ 120db peaks. yowza.

iow, use the ref level on the volume dial that works for your stuff & your ears. the important thing w/ calibration is to get all the speaks & the sub balanced at equal levels.

Boa...

I do have one, I just want to re-adjust my speakers is all at reference level but was not sure exactly how. But knowing how loud reference is... Geeze I may not. I will most likey re-adjust them but I most likly will not set them to refernce level.