New Denon AVR-X4500 with Klipsch speakers

Spray

Just replaced my older Denon AVR-1906 with the  AVR-X4500H.  I have Klipsch FR, Center, FL, Rear Height R, Rear Height L and a sub. After hooking up the new receiver and going through the Audyssey Setup the sound is pathetic (all levels were [-] ).  I moved on to the Manual Setup and had slight improvement but nothing like the prior receiver.  In the 2ch Playback settings I have front “small” SW Mode LFE and Crossover 80Hz. All speaker wires are connected correctly.  I can barely hear sound at level 5. When I proceed to level 40+ the receiver shuts off for protection. In the past by the time my receiver would hit 20+ it was VERY loud. Finally tonight after messing with various settings I’m also having major “sub-like” vibration coming from my FR speaker also. Very frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated in order to avoid a phone call to my local high dollar installation company. 

Weird.

Shooting in the dark:

• If the protection circuit is being tripped it sounds like something is wrong before or at the outputs to the speakers.  Look for shorts.  Check the speaker ends of the cables, too.
  • Look for some unobtrusive level controls.  They are usually very small diameter knurled knobs that are hard to grip and adjust. 
  • I assume this happens on all inputs, right?
  • Did your old Denon have Audyssey?  Was it the same flavor?  I.e., XT, XT32, etc.  Most people have a few bass peaks thay have grown fond of, that Audyssey handily removes.  Almost all Audyssey users turn up their bass, via the sub gain control on the sub itself (the one in the receiver is usually prone to line driver problems if you turn it up past 0, or even lower).  If you are not using DEQ, then some bass controls will be available to you (for LF & RF only).
  • You should re set your volume control (see the Manual) so it is "upside down" in the way it reads, so "0" is very loud, and "-25" is pretty soft.  That way, if you have set up Audyssey correctly, "0" will be Reference Level, with peaks at about 105 dB through each main speaker, and 115 dB through the subwoofer This meets Dolby/THX/professional standards -- it is LOUD.  For ordinary movie playing in the average size home theater or listening room, THX recommends trying 5 to 7 dB below Reference, i.e., at -5, -6, or -7 on the main volume control.  If you don't get loud sound at these levels, something is very wrong.

Did you get it through a local dealer?  Even if it was mail order, they should be willing to talk to you on the phone about it, and help you troubleshoot.

I love Audyssey, but have found that most manuals suck regarding how to best set it up.  For future reference:

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"