Home theater speaker set up help

Sean Cooper

Hi All,

This is my first time posting so I'm new to this, however I need some help and suggestions on which speakers I should be using where.

About 10yrs ago I purchased new a couple of RF-5's, RC-35 & a RW-12 sub and I have just picked up a package deal on a heap more speakers, some I wanted and some I didn't, but it was all or nothing and a good price.

The details are: I'm wanting to create a 7.2 set up, the room is 13ft X14ft X 9ft high, used 75% movies 25% music and I have the following speakers to work with: 2xRF-7 II, 2xRF-5, 2xRS-62 II, 2xRB-61 II, RC-64 II, 2xRB-35, 2xRC-35, 2xRW-12 Subs and a SW-311 Sub. The speakers I don't use, I'll find a use for somewhere or sell.

My initial thoughts were to use RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, 2xRW-12 Subs and FR-5's as rears. My main concerns with this were, the FR-5s as rears is a tight fit and would it be too much for the room size? Would the RB-61 II maybe pair better? Also, the RW-12's are old subs and I don't know anything about the SW-311.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers

I'd be using all three subs - more subs = smoother bass. See Dr Geddes write up. He did a thesis on the matter. Its really hard to over invest in bass headroom, especially in a high efficiency system like yours.

The SW-311 looks to be the best. Being passive radiator it's compact and should be able to fit in to a range of spaces which increases your chances of finding the best (least bad) modal location for it. Keep it! Your 12's may be old, but should be terrific.

If you have the inclination to get the best performance from your system its dead easy and this is how I got started at it. You can use your Audessey or MACC (pioneer) AV receiver mic and the free Room EQ Wizard software. It's very empowering to be able to SEE what your system is doing

As much as I like the look of center channel speakers they are, by design, highly flawed. I would press one of you spare regular speakers (RF-5 would be amazing, room permitting) into the center channel role. See here this detailed Audioholics report with measurements that really clearly demonstrates the folly of the horizontal layout and the benefits of using a regular speaker for center channel duties. 

Beyond that you are going to have a great system I believe! Even a modest receiver will be able to get you to reference levels (subs permitting). 

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice guys!

I read the article and really like the idea of the rf5 as a centre, however in my current space it wont work. Also, unfortunately my current amp (Onkyo TX-NR686) only allow for two subs. I'm looking at buying a new amp soon (some advice would be great) and will make sure it can handle more than 2 subs. I'm keeping the RF-5's, so the option as them as centres remains once I move.

I've swapped the RF-5's and the RB-61 II's in and out as rears and settled on the RB-61 II's. Both have pros and con's, and I can still be swayed either way. However space wise the RB-61 II's make more sense. For Subs' I'm currently using the the SW-311 and one of the RW-12's.  Still not sure on the best option here yet, I agree the SW-311 is the better sub on it's own, but the two RW-12's look and pair nicely. Like the amp. I'll look at upgrading them soon.

Cheers,