Turntable & media player recommendations + layout

kjohnsonhp

After reading the MMF-7 thread I have the following questions:

1. Would the MMF-7 be a good fit and upgrade for me (after others get their issues sorted out)?

2. Do I put it on my equipment stand between RPTV & Cornwall?

3. Should I use one digital player for DVD/CD/CD-RW--or do I need a Rega Planet and a Progressive Scan DVD? or should I put a HTPC in the rack instead?

I've attached a quick drawing of my media room. I'm trying to have a 2-channel vinyl system and a 6or7 Channel HT. I'm also thinking of integrating my PC network into the system for lp recording and Jukebox...and maybe photo viewing, TiVO, movie playing, etc.

I think I have too many media players and non of top quality..may an opportunity for consolidation and refresh?

Media Players:

1. Toshiba interlaced DVD (3rd generation from a few years ago)

2. CD - Sony 207esD from late 80's

3. Beogram 3000 w/Sure TT from 70's

4. Denon DP 790 w/Grado Red (not in use) TT

5. Hitachi Linear Tracking w/proprietary cartridge TT (not in use)

Amplification:

1. Outlaw 1050 for HT

2. Dynaco ST-70 & PAS3 from early 60's being rebuilt

I could put the TT and Dynaco system on the Dormer Seat next to my PC and connect it to my PC for recording. This would keep the TT away from the speakers but the speaker wire is a 20' run of 16 gauge wire.

I could put everything in the equipment rack next to RPTV and Cornwall.

There's a lot to chew on so any comments are of interest. It's not too late to empty the whole room and start over. yikes!

There are lot's of compromises...want a PC, want movies, music, closet, ceiling is pitched from roof-line, want to keep the furniture, etc. I needed the closed for my 2,500 records and 500 CDs.

Man, you have enough great vinyl to really go for a nice turntable and 2 channel music system. IS there any way you can pour resources into two separate areas? Why not make a great tube based two channel system and also a system dedicated to getting the best out of HT? Is this at all possible?

Let me know. The MMF-7 is a definite option as are used tables from Audiogon. Some feel more comfortable with new, others dont mind used. Some dont mind setting up a TT and some like it a bit more turnkey. The MMF-7 usually is a relatively turnkey solution if you pay attention to setup. But there ARE used options such as the VPI series which can be upgraded. There have been some good used buys on Audiogon lately but they go VERY fast.

First, you think it possible to sep the two systems? BTW, your drawing did not show up.

kh

ps- Did you get me mail regarding the CD? THANKS!!! GREAT DISC! I owe you one.

I can and I'm willing to have a tube vinyl-only setup. My big compromise is that I would like to have a 55" RPTV black monolith sitting between my speakers. The tube/vinyl system would be stand alone (swap speaker cables when I want to watch a movie). I could put the tube/TT in the same rack as my AVR/DVD or I could put it somewhere else--lot's of choices.

I thought the Outlaw 1050 at $400 and a DVD at $200 would be plenty for movies and then I could focus my funds on the 2-channel tube/vinyl solution.

The benefit of using the one room above my garage is that it is the most sound proofed of all the rooms in the house. I was originally going to use the family room down-stairs for the home theatre and use the room above the garage just for 2-channel, but I like to watch movies at night and downstairs keeps the entire house awake.

I didn't see your email but I'm glad you enjoyed the CD. I've got more local vinyl I need to copy (ie Lou Miami and the Kosmetiks, Boys Life, etc.)

I'm preparing for a test between my DVD connected w/digital coax to my AVR playing CDs against my TT connected to my tube preamp and amp. I have several albums on both formats so it should be fun..especially CD vs half-speed masters of the same album title.

I'm learning how much of a newbie I really am although I've used "record players" my entire life.