Mystery Klipsch's! Any ideas?

leopard

Hello,

I found a pair of strange speakers today. They were at a local thrift store that i frequent because they often have good hi fi stuff both newer and old. I didn't even really notice these until somene else happened to pull the grills off and low and behold i recognized the tweeter horn as probably being klipsch in origin. They guy lost interest and I gladly took over. Gave them a quick once over, gently pushed in on the woofer, no scratching. They were 20.00 for the pair so I bit, mainly because they looked fairly old and I have a pair of late 70's Heresys and figured the tweeter might be an electrovoice.

Upon arivng home I took off the baffle to discover what you see in the pics, they were indeed Klipsch drivers and the grill looks like Klipsch (Black, not in the pics).

My question is "what the heck are these"?! The tweeter is indeed a K-77 but not sure if it is an electro voice any ideas? It is unfortunatly blown (measures open). Any iedas on rebuilds of these. The woofer is a K-22. I can find no reference to that driver #, any ideas on that one. Looks like it could be an Electrovoice as well. Has the number 3259 stamped into the back.

The woofers work well and was thinking of trying them out in me Heresys but thought i would try and find out some more info about them first.

Anyway anyone know anything about these? Any info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Billy Perry

Baffle.jpg

Gee, I dunno.

It is my understanding that the K-77 has always been a handpicked, rebranded T-35 from EV. Therefore, you should be able to get a new diaphragm.

I had to lighten up your pictures. It appears this is a bass refex box. The woofer has a wizzer cone. The only other speaker is the tweeter. Is that an oil filled cap?

I noticed that Cabinart in 1955 sold several variations on the Rebel horn. What you have doesn't seem to be that. However, there is also mention of a Rebel-Ortho which in context does not seem to have a bass horn and might have been a reflex. It is supposed to be a 3 way though, and yours is not.

Perhaps yours is a home built unit. Are there any labels, brands, serial numbers, or the like, hidden on the box itself?

Gil

• Like 1

They look like EV SP12B/C.They work best in a small sealed box like a Heresy.The Qts is way too high to port.For an old Heresy I would completely fill the box with fiberglass.The Qtc=1.0 F3=68hz No=1.9% so it is about 1dB more efficent than a K22E.

I talked with Hope and our primary historical authority says that these are "home brews". We've never built a 2-way with the K-77. The tweeter will accept our current K-77 diaphragm kit if you wanted to refresh them. The woofer was most likely first used in the original Heresy. This age (early 60's?) K-22 woofer could maybe be used in a newer model, but would most likely need serious x-over attention - not really sure without some experimentation. More than likely, these guys were built with parts salvaged from an old terminal (for other reasons) pair of Heresy's.

Jim