DIY mini-monitor project started!

prodj101

well, I have ordered all the parts for my mini monitor's. I don't know what exactly they'll be used for yet, but most likely will go in my bedroom or the family room at the cabin we're building. The cabnit is made of 3/4 inch MDF, and is about 16 inches high by 9 inches wide by 14.4 inches deep. it will employ a 6 inch Hi-Vi woofer, which is made of aluminum and has an inverted dust cap with a look similar to the klipsch reference series. And for the tweeter, a 1 inch fabric dome made by Scan-Speak. the total cost for the pair is a little more than $400.00 . I'll put pictures up as they are availible. Also, what can you guys tell me about finishing it? I want to put a "piano black" high gloss finish on the enclosure, as I think it will go nicely with the gold color of the woofer.

Those are going to be some totally sick, awsome speakers if you can pull it off (the X-over will be very difficult if you don't have well-done pro plans), good luck, you can do it!!!

I am thinking about making my own speakers. What I will do is make a pair of cheap (6.5" woofer, 1" dome tweeter, kit/plans for a X-over, and I will make and finish my own cabinets) speakers for practice (for the "what I would do differently next time" effect) and then I can consider spending a few thousand on some profession JBL drivers and 1" board, and then I can make something REALLY big. Or, I will just get some Pi speakers in kit form and build those. I can't deny the guy and his R&D is way better than mine experience (aka, zero...) 15" 2226/7 woofer and a 2" compression driver. Will cost $1000/side for drivers only... Good times.

well, My initial crossover is going to be 3,500 hz, but I think I'm gonna make it external so I can change it whenever. just gives a little more room for error. This should be extremely flat response for the midrange. I tuned the enclosure to that Qes of .707 or w/e. I just wanted some speakers that would be very "neutral". sorta somethin to listen to when I want to hear detail, and not the colorations of the klipsch. so far on paper the response is basicaly flat down to about 68 hz. oops, nevermind, I am using a 2,500 hz crossover. I recently read that it works best with these drivers, silly me for not researchign enough.