Help with Onkyo TS DX595

DiscoD

FOlks--probably very stupid question and hopefully easy answer. Have had the 595 for nearly a year now. DVDs played at volume setting of 43-50 depending upon DD or DTS. Now all of a sudden I have to go up to high 50s or low 60s to get the soundstage. DPLII on regular TV works well at low 40s still. I've been through the book and checked the settings. What am I missing? Afraid to fry my lovely 8.5s, SS1s, KSC-C1 and PW2200. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Disco,

I suspect that the wire to your speakers may have oxidized. If the ends of your speaker wire are now a grungy green, then cut off the ends and use fresh wire. I use soldered bananas to avoid the problem on my mains.

If your house current's voltage has dropped due to a brown out, then you may need to turn it up as well.

Final thougt: Have you turned the volume up too loud and blown a driver? I hope that this is not the case.

Bill

But if his TV viewing is unaffected then the problem must not be the speaker wires or the house voltage. It seems as though its either in the DVD or maybe the default settings within the receiver while the DVD is selected. I'm not exactly a whiz with this stuff but thats where I would begin. Good luck.

Dan