Polyfill in speakers with passive radiators

In need of some of the collective knowledge contained within this BB. Does anyone have any ideas on what would happen if you stuffed the upper cabinets of the Fortes, Chorus, or any speaker with passive radiators. Does there need to be a certain amount of unobstructed air within the cabinet so that the radiator functions properly? Thanks in advance for your response.

It will absolutely change the sound. Whether the change is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon (to name a small subset of factors that play a role) (a) what you stuff it with (B) how much you use © whether the stuffing is randomly distributed inside or pushed against the sides of the cabinet (d) the degree to which the speaker is exciting the room's standing waves (e) the proximity of the current bass response extension to any currently unexcited standing waves (f) the volume at which you listen to music (g) the output impedence of the amp at low frequencies and the degree to which it interacts with the speakers impedence (h) well, you get the idea...

If you try it, be careful that you don't strip the screws removing and reattaching the passive resonator, and watch out of the crossovers and internal wiring.

Ray

Vented speakers (and PRs are vent substitutes) should not be stuffed, only lined, usually on 3 of the walls. Stuffing the speakers will change the response intended by the designer. Stuffing will, in effect, reduce the cabinet volume and throw the whole bass alignment out of whack, no good will come of this.

Tom,

It will definitely change the intended design but anything you do will change the intended design.

I have had two vented boxes, Paradigm Studios(early Studio 100s) and the subs to my Apogee Stages, that have been stuffed. Both were only several cubic feet but capable of going into the lower 20's. If they only had such a small space in the first place, then stuffed it, there had to be almost no volume so the f3 on the box would be very high but they had the capability of going very low.

So I guess it really is based on the intended implementation of the stuffing and the box.

Peter Z.

Peter---Apogee Stages eh? Man those were great speakers, only direct radiators I've heard with the immediacey and clarity of horns. I should'a bought them, I have about 10 sets of speakers around, 1 more wouldn't hurt :-) Are you still using them? What amp? I heard them with Krell and Adcom, great sound in both cases.

Tom,

They are in my pile of speakers that are not being used anymore. I am attempting to sell them but shipping is a nightmare.

I had an Adcom 555II running them but I bought a Jolida SJ801A tube integrated in late December (much better staging with the Jolida). This caused me to shift back and forth between them and my KLF-30s as the mood changes.

Right now I am building a set trying to get a mix of the sound of ribbons with the punch of my KLFs (within reason). My ears are telling me that when I have a set of speakers that are capable of unbridled output(KLF-30s), I will listen too loud.

I will have to see if I can get close with the home builts so I can move my KLFs to my H/T to replace my Altecs.

Peter Z.