Klipsch dolby / dts:x setup, searching for some advice

mheuvel

I am searching for a nice atmos / dts:x surround setup.
My television does not support e-arc and therefore I am looking for a standard setup of speakers instead of a soundbars with integrated atmos support.
I came across the denon x2700h as Av-receiver (is comming out next week), that supports the things I want from my home theather setup, like airplay, heos support, hdr10+ and some future-proofing.

It also can support 150w per channel on 6ohm or 95w on 8 ohm.
As speaker setup I picked the following setup:

R-34c as center speaker  (100w, 400w peak) (still wondering is I should not go with the R-52c)

2x R-625fa as dolby atmos front speakers (100w, 400w peak)

R-100sw as subwoofer (150w, 300w peak)
R-41m or R-51m as rear speakers  (50w, 200w peak / 85w, 340w peak)

My living room is not to big, so I think a setup like this would work more than fine. But still in doubt of the rear speakers, subwoofer and the center speakers.
Does anyone have any tips what goes best together? Also double check, does this work with the denon x2700h for not damaging any speakers? I am not to sure about all the wattages and ohm stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

These speakers will work great with the denon x2700h I'm sure. The only potential limitation is if you want to add more channels for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X later for example (5.1.4 or 7.1.2 etc). From what I can tell, this is a 7 channel receiver... so that could be limiting down the line.

And the only other two recommendations I can make is that you always try and get the best center speaker you can realistically afford. So if you can buy one or two models up, even if you have to save a bit first, this could be worthwhile in the long run instead of having to replace the R-34C later... and get the biggest subwoofer you can afford, and later add a second one when your budget allows... 🙂

I hope this helps.

Brendon

10 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

These speakers will work great with the denon x2700h I'm sure. The only potential limitation is if you want to add more channels for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X later for example (5.1.4 or 7.1.2 etc). From what I can tell, this is a 7 channel receiver... so that could be limiting down the line.

And the only other two recommendations I can make is that you always try and get the best center speaker you can realistically afford. So if you can buy one or two models up, even if you have to save a bit first, this could be worthwhile in the long run instead of having to replace the R-34C later... and get the biggest subwoofer you can afford, and later add a second one when your budget allows... 🙂

I hope this helps.

Brendon

Thank you for your advice!
I think what you say makes sense and I have considered it

For the AV Receiver:

I will remain where I live right now for at least another 10 years and this setup is already way to big for my room. My room is literally 4m x 4m.
So I figured if I ever want to go to another configuration when I have the space, I will upgrade the receiver and also get the latest technology in that timeframe. The x2700h will only cost me 640 euro's for the DAB version, so swapping that out over time does not hurt that bad.

For the center speaker, I have looked at the RP-404c for a while. The problem I have with this speaker is the fact that it has 125w power comsumption with peaks up to 500w. I know that if I put the 500c and the 404c on the same level, the wattage use should remain identical. But I am afraid to somehow blow the speaker up with having a shortage of atleast 30w.
That will mean I have to upgrade to either the X3700h or x4700h, which will put me back atleast 500 to 1000 euro's in receiver money, plus I should probably than also upgrade my front-speakers to RP-6000s, and therefore my rear speakers to rp-500s

Which will not only increase the overal cost of the set with atleast 1000-1500 euro's, but also does not even fit my room

Or do you think the x2700h can also just power up the RP-404c without damaging it?

23 minutes ago, mheuvel said:

I will remain where I live right now for at least another 10 years and this setup is already way to big for my room. My room is literally 4m x 4m.
So I figured if I ever want to go to another configuration when I have the space, I will upgrade the receiver and also get the latest technology in that timeframe.

This makes total sense and sounds like a good plan. 

24 minutes ago, mheuvel said:

For the center speaker, I have looked at the RP-404c for a while. The problem I have with this speaker is the fact that it has 125w power comsumption with peaks up to 500w. I know that if I put the 500c and the 404c on the same level, the wattage use should remain identical. But I am afraid to somehow blow the speaker up with having a shortage of atleast 30w.

I honestly don't think you need to worry about the power of the receiver vs. the power of the center speakers. These centers are pretty efficient speakers, so I'm quite sure they will be more than loud enough in your small room way before the receiver runs out of power. But perhaps someone on the forum who owns a RP-404c can weigh in on this.

28 minutes ago, mheuvel said:

Or do you think the x2700h can also just power up the RP-404c without damaging it?

Yes, I do think it can handle it without damaging the speaker, as long as you don't turn it up to a point of distortion, but I think your ears will give in before that happens... 🙂

I also read online that the Reference premiere line is way better

I might go for the following set instead:

• Klipsch RP-5000f x2 as front speakers (100w, 8 ohm)
  • Klipsch RP-500SA x2 as atmos/dtx speakers (75w, 8ohm)
  • Klipsch RP-500c as center speaker (100w, 8ohm)
  • Klipsch RP-400m as rear speakers (50w, 8ohm)
  • Klipsch SPL-100 as subwoofer 

I had the same worries on setting up my system i have a S960H which is a step-below what you are going to get and have been told by many people not to worry about the power consumption as long as your not turning it all the way up. 

I found a deal that i've shared a link to recently, if you are up to it here is a pretty good one to look into. 

https://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=22223&crid=479&cat_name=Klipsch+Piano+Black+RP+Series