The big driver with no respect

John Warren

University C15W is shown mounted in the Klipschorn. A 4 ohm, Fs 28Hz, 6lb Alnico, straight-sided (conical) cone, dual spider, cast basket driver. The driver shown is a later version of the C15W produced in 1963. It was the standard driver used in the Classic and Dean horn loaded enclosures. In 1957 you could pick up a Stephens 103LX (4.5 lbs Alnico) for $66, an EV 15WK (5.25lbs Alnico) for $75 and a University C15W (6lbs Alnico) for $77. Need a shoehorn to get it into the chamber. Slot in baffle is 3"X13".

C15W%20in%20Klipschorn.jpg

Well don't stop now! Your teasing me again. Tell me more.

I know we were wondering what the C15W would sound like in a Klipschorn. I havn't tried it yet. Have you had the chance to compare it?

I tried the K33E in the Classic, and I don't think that it sounds as good as the C15W. Then, as you know ,the Classic has a 6" x 13" slot. This might have something to do with it.

Let me know what you think, it will save me having to try it.

Q-I haven't tried a C15W in a 3x13" slotted Khorn. The setup above needs more work before I can make a direct comparison. I intend to setup one channel with the C15W and then compare it to the other channel loaded first with the LLC's K33E then the EV 15WK. In the 6X13" slotted baffles they work quite well.

John,

Sounds great, let me know.

I started building the new Klipschorn tops to hold the Altec 288-16k driver, 805-B horns, and the JBL-2404H tweeter.

Picked up another JBL-2404H on ebay a few days ago cheap, $75.00. Hope it works.

Just bid and won another pair of 805-B horns tonight, I need them for my center channel.

How are your JBL Klipschorn tops coming?

Q-The raw enclosures are close to completion. I haven't decided to to finish them. I might experiment with architectural moldings and create a *Patrician-like* decorative case to cover both them and the bass units (I'm using KDBR units for this project). I have other speaker related projects going on in parallel so I can always assure myself of getting nothing done.

Jw