Was looking for a new cable modem........

Alexander

When looking to update my slow(er) cable modem there was much talk of avoiding anything using an Intel Puma 6 chipset. Since one modem I was seriously considering was an Arris sb6190 that had the Puma 6 chipset in it that got me curious as to why all the fuss.

There was a good amount of disinformation going about saying there was a design flaw in the chip design that could lead to severe  latency issues. This had been passed on well past the time the problem was actually resolved by Intel. It turns out the real story is this: The firmware used to “run” the chip had a security “hole” that could have been exploited. This would allow someone to be able to make the Puma 6 chipset ill manage resources causing it to slow down or even stop data from flowing.

Though admittedly it took Intel longer to address this than many may have liked, they have had the security fix in place for well over two years best I can tell as of this writing of 9/2020. Needless to say I did purchase an Arris sb6190 cable modem and very happy with it's performance.

It is sad how many people love to pass on bad news more than the good.