KSW-12 Wiring Question

bacevedo

I have the Klipsch KSW-12 hooked up to my Denon AVR-3801 as follows:

A 1-male to 2-female Y Adapter on the sub pre-out of my receiver, to a 12 ft. stereo RCA patch cable that plugs into the left and right low level inputs on my sub.

The question I have is this:

Should I run 1 mono RCA patch cord from the receiver pre-out to the sub, and then use a Y adapter (1-female to 2-male) into the L & R inputs on the sub? Is there a difference? The reason I ask, as this is almost like bi-wiring my sub and I am wondering if I am losing signal, or giving the sub more signal by using 2 totally separate patch cords to the sub.

Also, how far would you recommend placing the rear port from the wall. I know I need to move it where it sounds best, but isn't there a rule of thumb that the port opening should be so far from the wall to allow the air to escape freely?

As a side note, I have RB-5's in the front, RC-3 in the center and RCW-3 in the rear. The RB-5's and the RC-3 are on top of my TV and rack (I have a Mitsubishi 60" TV with a matching rack - so they are pretty spread out), and I will be adding a shelf above my TV later that will house all of the speakers and increase the space between them.

One last question, on the RC-3 (I know this is the sub section of the site - but might as well knock em all out at once) - do you need to put that 5th rubber foot on the bottom to cover the spike hole? Is it really open all the way into the enclosure? I didn't know you had to do this, as the manual that came with the RC-3 didn't mention this at all, but the manual that came with my RB-5s (a new and much improved manual) mentioned it.

Any info would be appreciated.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

to question#1: though the other way is preferable(1 less connection), doubt you'd notice any audible difference so wouldn't run out & buy another Y adapter if that's the case.

none of that stuff is going to really effect the signal the sub gets up to the sub. the key is at the ksw & it's design - u want to connect both input jacks if u want more output.

from what i've seen the average port distance seems to be about 6 or 7 in. but many variables involved there.

seen some reporting probs from that hole not plugged. might as well put the plug in.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Technics 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!

Thanks - I will actually play with it to see if I hear a difference - but I bet I can't either. I think I have the port about 6 inches from the wall and it sounds fine - will play with that too.

I am also going to plug that hole in the center speaker - as I think it may make a difference.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

I tried it last night (using one cable to the sub with a Y-splitter at the end) and it seemed to help out a little bit. Now I don't know how much of this is psychological, but I do feel better hooking it up this way, as it seems to me to be the "correct" way of doing it. I also moved the sub a little closer to the wall - about 7" - I was at about 10" - so this may have had more of an effect - but never-the-less - I like the combination now more than I did before.

The other thing could be that you are losing more signal using two 10' long cable runs (the resistance in the cables, etc.) as opposed to using one cable. This could be way off, but just a thought.

I like it, and I'm sticking with it!

I also plugged the hole on the center channel - didn't really notice any difference (but then again it didn't sound bad before) - but now I know it is right. I can sleep at night.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan